The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2005, 04:04 AM   #1
drkyello

how 2 bag a blazer

i have a 73 2wd blazer and was thinking of putting air bags to lower it. not sure what my first steps to do this, i see posts of people bagging their blazer
are there bolt on kits for this?
not sure where to start

any web sites or help would be appreciated
thanks
drkyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

Drkyello welcome to the board. Everyone is gonna demand pics so get ready for that. :p I have a 75 Jimmy 2wd and a 74 K5 Blazer ......gotta love the full convertibles

Check out the suspension section here on this site and another good site I have heard is www.airride.com .Might also want to look into www.fullsizechevy.com . They have a very good suspension section over there also.

Good luck with your project. I am hoping to get my 75 on air this spring if I can sell my Z28.......market for them sucks right now

Brad
1975 GMC Jimmy 2WD lowered 4/6
1972 Chevy Trazer soon to be roadster
1965 Mustang 289/3 speed (friends dad bought it new)
1964 Chevy C10 (dad bought it new)
ItsNotABlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Fry

also check out ***************** they have the front mounts and bags you need.
the "2600" for the front is pretty standard on these trucks.
On the rear you'd probably want a 4 link, you could go with a mono leaf or something but thats pretty getto.
the sleeve bags are the best riding for the rear.
then you need something to make the air, either a compressor & air tank or just air tank that you fill up when you need to, till you get a compressor.
Then valves to let the air go into your bags and exhaust, through the airline obviously.
If your doing it cheaply like i'm going to on my 75 blazer, then all I'm doing is the bag mounts up front with the 2600s and a 4 link out back with sleeve bags then just schroder valves for now to get in on the road quickly. Then go to a tank, then valves, etc.
Also get up pics
kits seem to cost more than individual stuff, airride techs bag stuff is pretty expensive has well.
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
drink2mny

I'm going to move this to the suspension forum for a.
Should get more help
Old 01-06-2005, 01:58 AM   #5
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
also check out ***************** they have the front mounts and bags you need.
the "2600" for the front is pretty standard on these trucks.
On the rear you'd probably want a 4 link, you could go with a mono leaf or something but thats pretty getto.
the sleeve bags are the best riding for the rear.
then you need something to make the air, either a compressor & air tank or just air tank that you fill up when you need to, till you get a compressor.
Then valves to let the air go into your bags and exhaust, through the airline obviously.
If your doing it cheaply like i'm going to on my 75 blazer, then all I'm doing is the bag mounts up front with the 2600s and a 4 link out back with sleeve bags then just schroder valves for now to get in on the road quickly. Then go to a tank, then valves, etc.
Also get up pics
kits seem to cost more than individual stuff, airride techs bag stuff is pretty expensive has well.
How are you going to call something something ghetto, but in the same post say use an air tank with no compressor or schrader valves? The air over leaf system works fine I had it on my 74, and N2TRUX has it on his 77 now. Sure a 4 link is better, but there are several issues that you will run into on the blazer, but you'll find this out when you get started on yours I guess.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
Fry

lol, mines kind of a frame up right now and I'm kinda starting from scratch so with the million ways you can mount a 4link and making my own parts I'm not sure which problems you are refering to, bodywise I can't see a problem either.
I like N2Trux's truck and your blazer but you have to admit that a mono leaf is bad news.
These old trucks break leafs all the time, and you want to rely on only one? Sure I guess if you had the bags untop of the axle, which rides worse, then when it breaks if your bag holds then you won't loose your entire axle. And wheel hop, thats terrible. I had a friend with an S10 with a mono leaf and if he spun once the leaf would wrap up so fast he'd be hopping all over the place. I've even heard of people pull driveshafts out with monoleafs and wheel hop.
I just think mono leafs were great about 5 years ago.
An air tank with no compressor is not that ghetto. Its depends on what you are using it for. For me I'm not going to be showing off to all the kids on how cool bags are, its just for adjusting my ride height when I feel like it, or to drop it for a show. Not to "hop" or "freestyle" or whatever.
But yeah schrader valves are pretty getto too I guess lol but they a good enough valves for your tires.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
grnddwn
belly dragger

Hey Fry long time no talk to, I agree that mono leafs are not the best setup but alot of people seems to be happy with it and its a pretty straighrt forward install not to mention fairly inexpensive. The only reason DEan pitched his driveshaft is he was abusing it pretty hard (100ft burnouts will do that) As far as sleeve bags go if your wanting to keep your backseat and are looking for any kind of low I would stay far away from them, besides I find they ride like crap (just my opinion) and are not really forgiving to improper design geometry (spent my fair share of time removing for other people who had them installed elsewhere).
Drkyello unfortunatly blazers have been fairly neglected when it comes to bolt kits for the rear so you will have some fabbing in your future.

Last edited by grnddwn; 01-06-2005 at 11:14 AM.
grnddwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
bagged74
its just $$$$$

im not condoning a "mono leaf" at all, mine actually had two leaves. I believe N2 has more than one as well. I was just saying that you can get them pretty low with the leaf set-up. I know it is not the best, I actually was in the middle of building a two link for mine when i sold it. OH NO, I said two link, now im gonna have to listen to all the *****ing about two links. Dang, I should just keep my mouth shut I guess.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
grnddwn
belly dragger

I don't mind two links my blazer came with one
Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I am sure the haters will chime in though.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
grnddwn
belly dragger

If they show us what they drive they can complain I still won't really care though
Old 01-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #12
bagged72blaz
Got L.E.D.s

Aren't trailing arms sort of two links?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #13
grnddwn
belly dragger

Yup they're triangulated two links
Old 01-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #14
Fry

hey hogie, whats up?
I agree, I wanted to do monoleaf with my sonoma when I wanted to bag it but after hearing robb (from D. Factoy) talk about his, how he couldn't spin his tires whatsoever, and I like to bag the **** outta my trucks, I figured to go with a better alternative.
Sleeves- I was planing on running them behind my axle, I just heard they were the best riding by everyone. And I seen airlift was making them with 1/2" ports now. I hadn't heard of anyone complaining about the ride with them, guess I'll have to keep researching.
I'm not planing on going all that low in the rear, I don't want to cut the floor of the bed. I did hear that if convolulated bags are mounted anywhere other than the top of the diff they ride pretty good too.
I heard you work at Mcguyers now, that otta be pretty cool!
later
Old 01-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74
.....I know it is not the best, I actually was in the middle of building a two link for mine when i sold it.....D
A TWO LINK!!!! OH my God how ghetto is that.....

Yeah, my 77 Cheyenne has two leafs and a sleeved bag set up, so I guess it's all wrong. All I know is it rides great, and I get a decent amount of travel. Mine was done that way for a couple of reasons though. I didn't want to cut the bed, so the amount of drop I aquired with this set up was perfect. I may need a 4 link in the future, but right now it works great.

Ok, back to the topic. drkyello Air Ride Technolgies makes everything you need to set your Blazer up. I'm sure there are many other companies that do too, but I have no experience with them.

The front bag plates are bolt in, and look like the two pics below.
Attached Images

N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If you add a set of 3" dropped spindles, and remove or cut your fender liners you will get low enough to lay the A-arms out like this.....
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

For the rear, you can pull all the leaves but two from your spring pack and add bags, or you can go with a 4 link.

Here are a few pics of the triangulated 4 link on my 82 Blazer. I do not recommend this set up because it doesn't control sway that well. You will be better off with a 4 link and a panhard rod to control rear end sway....
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2005, 03:28 AM   #18
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

When Jackstands Attack !
Old 01-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #19
drkyello

thanks for all the help

this has been very helpful for me. i guess it time to start getting the bags and figure out a way to make my wife pay for it
drkyello is offline   Reply With Quote