The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2002, 11:19 PM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

multiple small backfires during deaccleration from high rpms

got my new goodrwench crate motor in. this is a stock engine with just edelbrock performer intake and edelbrocks qjet. has headers and dual flowmasters.

now the problem, say im going 75mpg or faster on the freeways and i let off the gas pedal to slow down i will hear multiple little back fires through the exhaust. theyre not loud at all, pretty soft.

im sure this relates to the carb since it is not new. is it just running to rich? and ideas?
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 11:24 PM   #2
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
or an exhaust leak... my headers would do that when I had paper gaskets... I went to copper and solved it...
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 11:34 PM   #3
Dropt72Shortbed

Re: multiple small backfires during deaccleration from high rpms

just put new gaskets both sides of the headers with the new engine. if it were an exhaust leak wouldnt i hear it more when i was flooring it at high rpms rather than when i just let off the gas? it never does it under 75mph no matter what rpms i let off at, only on the freeway at higher speeds
Old 07-08-2002, 11:46 PM   #4
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
are you sure they are back fires? If they are soft and you don't hear them any other time... maybe it's just the way the exhaust sounds... I had to learn my new exhaust... they sound totally different than flowmasters that i'm used to...i sound like a harley under heavy acceleration now.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 11:52 PM   #5
mikep
Used to have a truck

You are leaning out when the throttle plates are closed. Probably need to richen up the idle mixture screws a bit or richen up the transition circuit if that doesnt do the trick, How is your plug color? You may just be running too lean on your primary circuit and going down a wee bit on your rods might do the trick. try the idle mixture first. set it with a vascuum gauge to get it right the first time.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:16 AM   #6
Dropt72Shortbed

Re: Re: multiple small backfires during deaccleration from high rpms

Quote:
Originally posted by Dropt72Shortbed
just put new gaskets both sides of the headers with the new engine. if it were an exhaust leak wouldnt i hear it more when i was flooring it at high rpms rather than when i just let off the gas? it never does it under 75mph no matter what rpms i let off at, only on the freeway at higher speeds
yea theyre definetly backfires, guy who put the engine in for me also said they were backfires and that he would check the carb