The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Need help removing inner fender

I'm trying to remove the inner fender to get to the heater core. Natually, I've got the hood off, and all the bolt except for the last 2 on the inner fender. They are as you're looking at it, the bottom and next to the bottom one on the backside of the wheelwell, that attach also to the fender lip. Apparently, there must it looks like a nut on the backside is just spinning. I've shot them with PB Blaster, as best I could. I was trying to get them off with an air ratchet, then tried a hand ratchet thinking if I took it slow, that might work, and obviously no luck. Any Ideas? I can't see anyway to get a wrench on the nut to keep it from spinning.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
CHEVYE
my gas saver

can you clamp it with vise grips? also if you pull on the inner fender real hard (away from the nut) it might bind up enough to get started. if that doesn`t work you can alway spot weld it real quick!
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I have had to resort to using a cutoff tool to cut/grind the head of the bolt off. I have had captured weldnuts break off as well as "J" nuts split and just spin.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

If you mean clamp it from the backside, no way, I can't see any way to get vise grips back there. However I didn't think of pulling the inner fender out as I loosened it. Spot welding is definitley not an option, I don't own a welder, nor would I even know where to begin. I'll try prying the inner fender out tomorrow, since I'm already in from the Garage and cleaned up for tonite.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

try the open end of a 1/2" wrench. the clip nuts you are referring to have a square nut & the clip has a large tendancy to rust away & break. if that doesnt work try a hacksaw blade to cut bolt between the 2 pieces of metal (inner fender & outter fender).
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
purple gas

HOT TIP! When you're taking off bolts & nuts that have never been taken off since new, or any old nuts / bolts. If they start easy , then get progressivly harder, give em a squirt of your favorite juice and let 'em sit for a while. The friction of removing the fastener can make it tighten up from heat expansion. ( Don't believe me, touch a bolt that was hard turning, they get real hot) With a little penetrating fluid, and some time to cool down they sometimes will turn out without breaking. Some will still break, but I've used this method with good results.