The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
gmc67swb

Boom!

Well, I have the first casualty of my new set up (350HO, Centerforce clutch) I destroyed a U-joint today when I hammered second gear. Good ole leaf springs did the wheel hop, next thing I know I hear a nasty clanking and feel some hard thunks and then I was pushing the truck to the nearest turn in. It tore the whole end off the U-joint where the bearing cup attaches. Has anyone ever heard of putting clamps on the leaf springs to stiffen them to prevent wheel hop?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Super Duck
Chevy Nuttttt

You can put slapper bars on but south side machine or comp enginering make some realy nice set ups for leaves that will work better. look in summit. I have actualy twisted axel tubes out of the third member on my elky. let me tell you that sucked. Man i wish i still had that 383.

hey who lernt me to spell

is there anything else?
Super Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
4x4Poet

If you're going all the way, consider custom leaf springs. They can be made with more leaves that make for thicker packs that resist axle wrap much better than oem springs or oem replacement springs. If properly made, such custom springs would ride as well or better than stock. Custom springs can be made for drag racing in particular. Alcan Spring or National Spring are two nationally known custom spring makers. I'll leave traction aids to more knowledgeable board members. I'm more of a 4x4 truck enthusiast.