The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
grovmister

Buyer Beware!!

I recently was high bidder on a 71 Cheyenne on ebay item#4517785074.
When I went to transfer ownership with the seller

1. The items' condition was misrepresented. He failed to tell me someone installed the saddle tanks by way of cutting the floor and sidewalls of the box with a sawzall, leaving two big holes in the floor and side bed. Touched up with a Rattle can the original white of the two-tone paint, down both sides.

2. The seller was not the individual on the vehicles' title, even though he claimed to have owned the vehicle for over 2 years. Any advice on how to proceed?

3. His father who is an Auto Dealer was in the car they drove doing business on a laptop.

Any suggestions on what I should or should not have done???
grovmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=4517785074

"This truck has never been restored and is very ORIGINAL clean and uncut!!!! "

Hmm, he even used 4 exclamation points.

Last edited by Gee_Emm; 01-12-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
2low72

Still a nice truck. Makes ya wonder what else is wrong. Sorry you got the shaft though!
Old 01-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

The truck was definately mis-represented but IMO it's well worth the price that you won it for......your call.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Sorry about the raw deal you got. I see it came with the factory long waterpump setup in it, (right!).

It seems like E-bay could help on this problem because the truck was really misrepresented.

Good luck,

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Did you buy the truck sight unseen? Did you contact the seller for any additional info/pictures? It definately seems like it was missrepresented, but you did get a good price. Do you have any photos of the damage?
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
sinister72

Ebay has buyer protection for times like these! Look over the rules i think that they will apply.
Good Luck
sinister72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
teamharvey

Get going with Ebay asap, you only have 30 days from the end of the auction for them to help, even then it is tough to actually get anywhere with Ebay.
teamharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:53 PM   #9
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

I hate the fact that it wasn't as sweet a deal, but ask yourself this, if you hadn't won this on ebay and you were offered it at this price, knowing the damage was there, would you buy it? It doesn't look like a bad deal, just not as sweet a deal as you first thought. The title situation is another story. Not sure how that goes in your neck of the woods, might be fine, might not. I think I would have him meet me at the DMV to pick up his money after I see the title in my name. JMO.......Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #10
grovmister

I was so stoked when I won the auction. The pictures looked great, but in real life the truck was not even a 200 footer. The truck also sported a late model engine. I did purchase it sight unseen as My 2 emails and 3 calls went unanswered for 2 days (that should have been my first hint that something was amiss as I only live 60 miles from the truck).

I still considered buying the truck just to protect my feedback rating, as the truck is worth to me about 2000-2500. I really want to find a Cheyenne with that color combo.

Recently, I passed on a Cheyenne which had been repainted, but needed rockers and a cab corner for $2500.

I did follow him to DMV, but he left the truck where we first met, and the person at DMV couldn't check the Vin# . The Vin# looked as though it had been tampered with.

A big regret I have was leaving the digital camera at home.

Mike
grovmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #11
dion
72 Cheyenne

Man that blows, sorry to hear about your bad deal but honestly I think even with the holes in the bed that's a good price, as long as the engine and tranny were in really good shape. The truck looks at least from the pics to be super clean. You could have the holes repaired and put a bed mat in the back and nobody would ever know.

The title thing though could be bad news, but maybe not. I'd check with the DMV if in fact you were still thinking about buying it.

Good luck with the deal and hey if it doesn't happen don't worry I'm sure you'll find a nice truck sooner or later.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #12
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

I have to agree with some of the guy's above, the truck looks good for the price. Than again, I didn't see the truck in person, if the trucks description was deceiving you have a good case. It's your call on this one.

Is it possible to talk to the owner and to let him know that the obvious damage was not in the description? If anything you guys should be able to work out a deal on the side. If what you claim that is wrong with the truck is true and the seller is a reasonable person than he should see your point. I mean, you have his description right there and he stated that the thing is clean and uncut. He can't deny that.

Got rid of my projects for now.
1980 Jeep CJ7
1998 Nissan Sentra (my car)
2001 Toyota Sienna (wife's, of course)

Last edited by spencra; 01-13-2005 at 12:33 AM.
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #13
smitty62

appears worth the money even with the misrepresentation if someone can straighten the title out--------?

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #14
GreyHoundSteve

Ebay is little help in these situations. If you read ebays rules you would think that you should be protected on such a deal but if youve ever actually had to deal with ebay then you know that they are little more than a place to buy and sell items and that they offer VERY LITTLE if any help with any problems you might have.

Paypal is a little more helpful because you can actually talk to a human but again .... they will only help you if it helps them so dont expect too much there either.

As far as the truck itself ...... it doesnt look like that bad a deal to me. I bought my 67 off ebay for $4,500 because the title stated that it was "recently restored" and that "the engine has less than 500 miles on it" and that "it needs very little to be perfect" and blah, blah, blah. When i picked the thing up it was a POS. It had fresh paint and a new interior but that was about it. I didnt make it home before it broke down and i had to have it towed the rest of the way. The PO who had suposedly done the "profesional restoration" had used speaker wire and whatever else he could find to rewire the truck and it was a rolling fire hazard not to mention that the carb was shot, the tank was rusted and when i removed the new seat and pulled up the carpet what did i find? I found that the floor was nearly rusted through. ABout the only think on the truck that was in good condition was the frame. I had to tear down the thing completely and in all honesty the thing wasnt probably worth 2 grand when i bought it.

Its like everything else on ebay ..... theres a 99% chance that the item will NOT be as nice as described and the photos shown are taken at the BEST possible angles to conceal its faults.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #15
cheyenne10

done deal?

Did you end up bringing it home or are you still researching title? Sounds like sellers name on title did not date it and buyer kept it out of his name therefore avoiding the 30 date requirement to transfer title. I have seen this done on major parts project trucks with sellers permission. Or worse yet like you suspect VIN tampering but that should be easy to prove out by checking the VIN numbers on frame, cab and glove box.

Ebay can provide good finds or lots of surprises and headaches. I have know seller and bidder talk on phone for hr(s) and exchange 50+ photos to make bidder more confident before making larger purchase.

Good luck and maybe time to build up a shortpump 350 for it and get to welding in the bed. Looks like a 20-30 footer to me but not the 3/4 ton you were looking for.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #16
GreyHoundSteve

I wouldnt be that woried about the name on the title. I can think of a new cars i have bought and sold that i never had titled in my name. In fact my brother in law is fighting with the insurance company right now because he totaled his van but never had it titled in his name so he has to go to the dmv and have it titled before the insurance will settle up with him so its not uncommon to own a vehicle that isnt titled in your name however if you suspect VIN tampering i would proceed with caution.

The worst this guy can do to you if you decide to back out of the deal is leave negative feedback in which case you can rebute his comments. I wouldnt go through with it if your that worried about it. One negative ebay feedback isnt worth losing thousands of dollars over imo.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote