The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
67chevemall

Question MSD 6A?? Worth it??

I was thinking of getting a better ign. system and was wondering if the
MSD 6A is a good upgrade?
How much more spark is it? Does it just install with power from the
batt. and the Ign. wire like a big relay!
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
'70_402

from what i have read and understand is that you should only need a ign box like that if you are racing, regularly get you motor above or around 6500 to 9000 rpms, and have very high compression ratios. other than that if this is a street truck that sees some race track time. then a good high performance hei will work just as well. you are probally not going to see any hp gains just from adding this.

I once was plagued with this same question.

Rick
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

i got a 6AL and it was easy to wire up. mine had a wire diagram on the back of it. you used on set if you had a MSD dizzy and you used a different set if you didnt.
EDIT: i went from a L6 w/points to a V8 with MSD, i didnt really notice a MPG increase

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler

Last edited by 68w/sbc406; 01-11-2005 at 10:31 PM. Reason: mo info
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

An MSD 6AL box is worth it. Even if you are just looking for a bit better mileage. Before I got mine I had an HEI and the difference on the little 305 that was in the truck at the time. With the 385, it definitely is earning it's keep.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

On my friends 52 with a hot 261 (I-6) he started with a Uni-lite distributor. Later added the MSD-6 box. Made a huge difference in the idle smoothness and added a lot of power to the low end. The only downside is his electricity consumption at high rpm. With a 60 amp alternator he had to switch to an Optima battery to have more amps available at short notice.

We were able to get his idle down to 600 rpm with a full race cam. I've never been able to get that low of an idle with a cam that hot.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:12 AM   #6
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I had one in my old GMC with a built 355. Was mounted where the glove box liner would go to keep it dry and out of view.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Definetly a good upgrade....

The only thing is I wouldn't skimp and just get the 6A....Go ahead and get the 6AL. It might save your motor one day. And it is always good to have a rev limiter.

I like Mallory's Uni-lite distributors over MSDs just because of the way that they are made...One using magnets and the other using LEDs.

lata
CHRIS
Old 01-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #8
4x4Poet

MSD boxes work well and I, too, used to be on the solely capacitive discharge bandwagon for street engines that weren't raced or otherwise run above 6000rpm. I used a few Jacobs systems. But for street engines, I now think Pertronix has it right with their Second Strike box that adds a CD spark to the inductive, long-duration spark that is superior for low-rpm combustion. From their website:

"Second Strike is the only ignition system to provide a powerful second spark throughout the entire RPM range, unlike other multiple spark discharge systems, which typically drop off to one spark at about 3000 RPM. This micro controller based ignition supplements most inductive type systems (points, GM HEI, Ford TFI and Duraspark, Ignitor and Ignitor II) with a powerful capacitive discharge second spark resulting in more complete combustion of the fuel/air mixture. Increased burn time at very high RPM levels also reduces misfires resulting in more peak horsepower and torque...."

CD only systems must use multiple sparks at low rpm to compensate for the short, albeit hot, duration of CD sparks. Even though the CD spark is hotter than an inductive system's spark, given the same coil output, a single CD spark cannot effectively burn the A/F mixture thoroughly at low rpm when combustion chamber process is slower and cooler than at high rpms when CD sparks shine. At low rpms, the inductive system's long-duration single sparks are superior, given a high quality inductive system. High rpms get two sparks (inductive & CD) instead of one CD spark most CD systems provide after 3k rpm. With the Pertronix Second Strike, you get the best of both ignition system types from idle up to the rev limit. (High rpm race only engines no doubt use a higher quality CD spark system that can provide multiple sparks at any rpm. More $$ too).

An inability to set a low idle rpm on inductive systems probably has more to do with the system's condition such poor quality (including low voltage coils), worn, or damaged ignition wires, coil, points, cap, rotor, and maybe spark plugs. If you install a CD system and notice an improvement at low rpms then you probably just proved that the original system was worn, damaged, or an inferior type of inductive ignition system for which the multiple CD sparks compensated.

I'm still learning, but I think I can make the following claim as to which systems would be best (excepting $1k up race systems):
1. DUI (HEI) distributor tuned to specific engine with Pertonix Second Strike.
2. HEI with high voltage coil and Pertronix Second Strike.
3. Pertronix Flamethrower Distributor with Second Strike.
4. 69-74 dist with Pertronix II, Flamethrower II coil, and Second Strike.

And, as usual, I'd like to recommend the perusal of the first three articles on Magnecor's website. Very informative regarding the ongoing high perf ignition wire marketing scams.

I strongly encourage dissent. I might learn something.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 01-12-2005 at 10:33 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
67chevemall

Thanks guys! I've been babying my motor and the plugs are always carboned when changing them. So I thought maybe more spark might help the engine last longer!
Or maybe I should start stomping on it more!~
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

I vote for no more babying of the motor! Run it! Clean out that carbon! hahaha

lata
CHRIS
Old 01-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
71Rat
ran out of money

go with MSD i got a mallory box, the thing has been headaces since i got it..... well this is the second one the first one didnt work for anything...complete junk.. now this one wont start the truck and when i am driving just randomly shut the truck off.... i have checked everything like 10 times, it is the box..... i am saving for an MSD 6AL..... go MSD and never have to replace it...

Rat
Old 01-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Rat
go with MSD i got a mallory box, the thing has been headaces since i got it..... well this is the second one the first one didnt work for anything...complete junk.. now this one wont start the truck and when i am driving just randomly shut the truck off.... i have checked everything like 10 times, it is the box..... i am saving for an MSD 6AL..... go MSD and never have to replace it...

Rat
Did you use a Mallory Power Filter? It is a MUST when using the powerful Mallory Ignitions...

Here is a link and a pic to show you what I am talking about...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...27&prmenbr=361

lata
CHRIS
Attached Images