The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2005, 05:34 AM   #1
Chevyboy1962
C10 now is a GMC

alt. bracket pic

Hey Guys,
I was went to install the alt brackets on the 350, but forgot where the top "arm" gets mounted. Anyone got a pic of sbc alt brackets that mount to the front of the drivers side head? I think the arm mounts to the top bolt on the waterpump, but not for sure.
TIA,
David

*1963 C10 lwb fleetside, small window 230/4 speed...Blvd Cruiser

*1931 Ford 5 window coupe (soon to be Hot Rod)... Father & Son project
Chevyboy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The arm bolts to the front of the head. The lower 1/2 of the bracket, the cast iron part, is bolted to the head with the same bolt.

It doesn't go to the water pump.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

This what you need?
Attached Images

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
doc_rock

anybody got any ideas on how to sturdy that up a bit? Mine flexes like mad, and it's the same setup as the one pictured.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

doc, if that flexes, then something isn't right...they are sturdy set ups.
Chevyboy1962...that pic is the right one if you are dealing with the one I sold you. I used to have pics of them, but they are all on *her* computer.
Any luck on finding that paint I gave you the info on?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
doc_rock

I was afraid of as much. I'm using what I think to be a very old exhaust manifold, one that had two bolt holes in the end of it. It was in the way of the alternator, so I hacked it off with a saw. I may have missed something, and it's not allowing the bracket to tighten down right.

That, and I can't find anybody to get me a belt to fit it. I've got to go swap this belt in one last time and see if I can get one that fits.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter

Ask for a belt for a 72 truck with a 350. That'll get you fixed up.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #8
doc_rock

'72 belt is what I asked for, the engine is actually a 72 or 73, don't remember. They didn't have that belt, so I went one size longer. That was WAYYYYY too long, like 6 or so inches (so that's what, nearly a foot in belt length?). So I went one size down from that belt. It's tight enough to spin everything, but at roughly 4k it slips like mad.

here's the fun part.
truck: 1969
engine: 1973
alternator: 1969
brackets: ??
harmonic balancer and pulley: 1985
Waterpump and pulley: 1985
All this mix and match crap. I'll be glad to get the money together to either serp it or supercharge it and be done with this crap.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter

No wonder you're having trouble. You've mixed short water pump and long water pump types of parts. You need the right pulleys and short water pump.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
doc_rock

got a short waterpump and short waterpump pulleys. (actually got two short water pumps, and aluminium one and a iron one, but I'm using the iron one so I dont' have to drill out the aluminium one). The harmonic pulley, waterpump, and fan are all off the same engine (the 1985 305) The only pulley that may be off is the pulley for the alternator, but it was working on the other engine, the other engine just had different exhaust (and I popped that belt immediately upon installation)
Old 01-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #11
Tx Firefighter

The pulleys, water pump and everything from an 85 is different. You can't interchange even one piece off an 85 engine and have everything match up right.

If you got a water pump off an 85 engine, you got a long pump, same with the harmonic pulley.

You must use matching pulleys and water pump so the pulleys will have the right size and offset. The size is important so the pulleys will have the proper ratio with each other's diameter so everything turns the correct speed.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
doc_rock

ok, then an 83 305? Maybe it's not an 85... I don't know, for sure which year it is. The pulleys match up, (I've got several sets, this is the only set that matches up). This is the set that was on the 305 I pulled out of it. I put the front end of the 305 on the 350. I'll get the numbers from the 305 when I get home, I know the engine block itself was used over a spread of years int he 80's, just not sure which.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #13
LT4XTREME

Back in 92 I worked at Sears auto center and had that same alt bracket on the 283 in my 67. Leaving work after closing on a sunday I was driving around the mall and heard what sounded like a muffler dragging the ground. So I hopped out and looked seen nothing popped the hood to see the alt and bracket laying on the inner fender. One of the bolts had fell out and the other broke off. I removed the belt drove about a 1/2 mile to a parts store. It was closed and the engine was getting hot. So I found a old rag in the truck and tore the folded over edge seam off and tied it around the crank and the water pump as tight as I could get it truned off all of the electrical things I could. Fired it up and started home got about 10 miles and the temp gauge started to climb. Pulled over and tied on another seam made it about 3 miles at this point I only had a 1/2 mile to go so I tied on the 3rd seam. Had just enough juice left in the battery to crank it over and away I went. Fixed it the next day but had alot of string shreds to clean out of the engine compartment.
LT4XTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_rock
ok, then an 83 305? Maybe it's not an 85... I don't know, for sure which year it is. The pulleys match up, (I've got several sets, this is the only set that matches up). This is the set that was on the 305 I pulled out of it. I put the front end of the 305 on the 350. I'll get the numbers from the 305 when I get home, I know the engine block itself was used over a spread of years int he 80's, just not sure which.
72 was the last year for the short water pump and pulleys you need for your truck. Trucks went to long pump and everything changed in 73.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #15
doc_rock

Tell ya what. I'll get some pics of it.