The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2005, 01:50 AM   #1
muddpile

A few interior questions

On my 72, like all of these old trucks in stock form, most of the interior is orange painted to match the body. It looks alright, but it's dated and transfers a fair bit of road noise. My roof has no headliner, and I've seen pics of the stock headliner and it just looks like a little pleated vinyl thing that gets stuck on the roof. I've seen many custom trucks where the headliner comes right down to the bottom of the windows and is covered in some sort of material. I think that look adds to the interior and would likely quiet road noise if the backside was deadened. Is there a company that makes something like this in a kit? If so, who? If not, how can I do it myself?

Also, I need a dashpad. I've seen two for sale at scotts super trucks. One was just a dashpad, and the other said it was an original vinyl and it cost more. What is the difference?

Yet another question: Is there a way for me to make my own carpet? What I mean is use some bulk automotive carpet and lay it in. Has anyone ever done this and had good results? I have a roll of black automotive grade crushed pile carpet from my sub box building days, and figured that if it was an easy enough task I'd do not only the sub box, but the floor, door panel bottoms, gas tank cover etc. with it. I kinda like the modern look of the pile vs. the hook and loop.

Last question, where can a guy buy new seat foam for the bottom of the seat of my 72 bench? The only place I've found it is LMC for 200 bucks, which seems like a fairly high price for foam padding.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:12 AM   #2
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Mine has the bulk type carpet in it,and it is ok.Really dirty and in need of a change,and a low hump would have worked out a lot better.I think you can get a decent job doing it this way.It won't look like a new molded carpet though

I'm intrested in the other 2 questins as well.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
danho
Pesemistic Optimist

Personally if I wanted to lessen the interior road noise I would put some Dynamat or something similar on the floor, I think that is where most of the noise comes from.
Not sure on the dash pad differences, but I got mine from Wes at Classic Heartbeat for 80 bucks or so and it was good quality.
As far as carpet goes, unless you have some skill I think you'd be better off getting a pre-made one, especially if you have a high hump cab. I helped my brother do a carpet install out of a roll on his 50' chevy with a flat floor and I don't think it turned out too good.
Seat foam that I have priced online is pretty spendy, when i had the seat re-done on my 73', I had the guy fix the foam too and he charged me 400 for the whole job new foam and all. Just an opinion.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:15 AM   #4
HeavyD

Hey Muddpile, For the foam check out any upholstery shop in Saskatoon. They should be able to either sell u some foam reasonably priced or fix your seat foam up for you for a small fee. Actually redoing a seat is surprisingly cheap...a few years ago I had a bench from a 71 redone with new foam, fixed springs, and vinyl/cloth combo for $200! That seat was beat bad, and they made it look NICE for what I thought was not much money (maybe thats why they are out of business now??).
The regular dashpad is prob made of urethane. The other one is foam with vinyl covering like original. I bought a dashpad for a 1967 Fairlane that was urethane and it just didn't look right, but since you are going a bit off stock anyway maybe that wouldn't matter much to you?
I agree that buying a molded carpet is a good move. All the cars I have had with homemade carpet looked like crap. Buy from a vendor here or even Scott's Super Trucks - only one tax to deal with
Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
GreyHoundSteve

The first project i started on my 67 was the interior but it ended up being ALOT more fab work than expected so i had the guys pull the molds why the cab was off before it went to paint and we have been working on the body work ever since so my interior is on the back burner right now but let me tell you what we're doing because it sounds like kind of what your looking for.

My truck had the black painted dash and new black molded carpet but we tore all of that out and i had the interior of the cab painted to match the new exterior which is being done in Silver. I have a friend who had a totaled 67 cab so we cut the roof off of it to make the headliner mold. We decided to extend the headliner all the way down to the bottom of the back window. All of the materials we are using are aircraft grade and i covered the ENTIRE cab in insolite which is what they use to quiet the interior of airplanes so i expect it to keep the interior pretty quiet. We are also building custom pieces for the dash pad which will extend all the way to the windshield. We are also doing custom molded door panels and kick panels and building a box behind the seat for some subs. Most of those pieces will be covered in leather or ultra leather except the box and the floor. We decided to use molded carpet for the floor. We had originally tried to form a higher quality carpet to the floor but it ended up being alot more trouble than it was worth and it didnt look quiet right so we replaced it with a floor molded piece. Every panel in my truck was fabbed from fiberglass and it is a slow process so we shelved it until the body is done.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
67chevemall

dynomat or roof patch with a fabed rubber floor mat that is removeable
Carpet is dead.
$0.02
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
muddpile

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I will definitely buy some black molded carpet. Using bulk just sounds like too much work. For door panels, I think I might just buy some black stock replacements. I've seen the roddoors replacements, but I'm still not too sure how they would look with an orange and black interior. Anyone ever used the Roddoors Dano door panels?

I will be sound deadening the whole thing, so road noise should not be too bad after I'm done. Especially the floor.

HeavyD, I'll have to check with an upholstery shop. Maybe I can get something custom done for a bit cheaper than the 400 bucks Scotts want for an original houndstooth cover. As for the dash pad, I may step up and buy the vinyl one. It may cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Greyhoundsteve, your truck sounds like exactly what I want to do. I would like to take the headliner way down to limit the amount of bare orange painted metal. I will likely go right down to the top of the gas tank if it is possible in one or two pieces. Finding a junked cab to do this sounds like a great idea! I'm still up in the air about door panels, but I will be making custom kicks and likely now a custom headliner. When I'm done I would like to have just the dash and the little bit of metal on the doors orange, with everything else black. I think it should tie together fairly well, making the interior a little more comfortable and modern. I see roddoors sell a headliner kit, but I'm not too sure if it goes all the way down or not. I can do custom fibreglassing, so that is not a problem.

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I look forward to some more ideas. It's nice that there are a lot of these trucks out there that people are willing to experiment on!
Old 01-13-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
john
member #16

Here is a headliner my upholstery shop did for me. It is glued on and takes a little skill to do,but it is different. John
Attached Images

john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #9
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Hey John hows about some shots of the rest of the truck?Headliner looks great
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #10
muddpile

That's the look I want John. Some fabric up there rather than just painted tin. So you say it is just glued right to the metal itself? Also, is it tweed or something else?
Old 01-14-2005, 03:51 AM   #11
GMC Jim

John, give us more information, please!...like what kind, type of material was used and if you don't mind the cost. Would like to take pictures to a local upholstery shop and check what they might charge for a job like yours. Thanks
Old 01-14-2005, 04:30 AM   #12
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
I installed a Sound deadener call Brown Bread.
It's cheap and it works well.
Here's the thread about it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php3?t=60274
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #13
john
member #16

The headliner material is a tweed. The cost was $175. Heres another pic. John
Attached Images

john is offline   Reply With Quote