The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
chrismoore701

Chevy of GMC I need help

I posted this yesterday, got a couple replies, the question was if I buy a GMC Cab and drop it on my Chevy frame what will it be, Chevy or GMC. I contacted the BMV and they said I would have to apply for a rebuild vin number, i guess they would assign my truck a new vin. But I asked about receiving a new plate for the dash and she wasn't sure how that worked. The thing I didn't think about is the fact the the vin in the truck has to match that on the frame, anybody know where the vins are on the frame. And another question, are the vins in the cab of the truck located on the removable dash frame that I can just swap with my chevy, or are they located on the actual body. Fill me in if anybody can help. I might go buy it tomorrow if I get some positive feedback. Just to let you guys in other parts of the U.S. know what is going on here in the Great NW Indiana. It was 65 on weds. worked in my garage all evening with the big door open. Today 2 days later it is 8 degrees. got to love the midwest, the bad thing is we have this cold and no snow to go with it. thanks

Chris
1979 Chevy Sport Stepside
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
crosby

I had a state assigned VIN on my 84 Jeep CJ-7. It is a federal offense to tamper with the original VIN plate at all. They put a laminated sticker on my doorjamb with the state (NH) assigned VIN. I would assume other states do something similar. Hope this helps... Good luck
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
Jason Spears

I wasn't aware that there was a vin # on the frame. If there is, I've never seen it!
Jason Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Spears
I wasn't aware that there was a vin # on the frame. If there is, I've never seen it!
ever had the body COMPLETELY off the frame? its there. my truck, being made up of so many different trucks, i have basically been told that i can run whatever vin i want (that i have in my "collection" from trucks i have scrapped out.). the woman at the BMV couldnt come right out and say that i could, but she was hinting very strongly at it.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
kevinr1970

If I understand correctly (big IF!), the VIN tag on the "dash" is riveted to the sheet metal that is a permanent part of the cab. It does NOT come out with the dash pad.
What I have been told, at least for Blazers, is that the VIN on the frame is under the cab in a position you can't see unless you have the cab removed.
But don't take my word as bond.....
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
Phuloi68

The Vin is stamped into the frame under the cab. With a build up of dirt, rust, etc, its hard to see but if you clean it it is very distinct.

Indy survivor
Norwood survivor
Big Sandy survivor

for those who fight for it...
F R E E D O M
has a price the protected
will never know.
Phuloi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
TrainD5115
North Coast, baby!

I bought an 81 Chevy shortbed a few years ago that was on top of a 77 4wd frame. It was registered according to the cab VIN. Your best bet to avoid the hassle is not to mention the fact that you switched cabs. Assuming of course you have a clear title for the new cab. Thats what I did here in OH anyway. The guy I bought the truck from was a Michigan resident so a mandatory VIN inspection was required by the BMV clerk who licensed it in OH. Have a nice day.
3.73's
Still running full CA smog gear!
TrainD5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
us111

vin

not sure what year you are talking about but i have a 1976 chevy stepside pickup, i bought a 1978 gmc pickup cab,both of those vin plates are in the driver's side door jamb..can't help other than that because i get the same run around here in ohio from the bmv,,no one is sure what to tell me to do,
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote