The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
jostrans68
Jostrans68

Angry update on 350 Head Dilemma

First beware of what machine sho you use for your work. I now have been burned twice...about three years ago i sent in a set of heads to be done, good aet of 487x heads large valve etc....I bolted them on my motor recently and it rand about ten minutes then came a loud clang and clatter. So it turns out that I have a bent valve in two cylenders and when they warm up they bind. I tore it down today and found some other issues they did my posi seals but it appears according a new machine shop they used bad valves. so beware looks loke this head will go in again what is weird the other was done right....jack
Old 01-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

jostrans, Good to hear that you are getting it fixed right. Did you pull the other to have it checked as well? For future reference is there someone in Tacoma that does a good job on these heads? Just curious.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
86SILVERADO

You know the engine building profession is going through some growing pains these days as far as SB chevys goes anyway. For example a professional engine builder up my way who I have used before who does Strictly top notch work needs to get $500 minimum to rebuild a set of heads. That is just a run of the mill valves and guides kind of thing. Now as we know with all the aftermarket heads out there you can get a decent pair of brand new heads for say 3-400. So what do you think alot of people on a buget end up doing. The consequence is there are fewer of the true professional builders around and they need to charge a premium to stay in business so you can pretty much bet that any one who is giving you a "deal" is cutting corners.

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote