The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
woody96

Question Rerplacing shocks on a '84 c10...?

Need some quick help and advice...I need new shocks on the front of this 84 c10 I just bought-----pretty simple job? Done with weight on the vehicle? Any pointers to save time??? THX!!!
woody96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
FLAGG

It's about as simple as it gets. You don't need to jack the truck up or anything. Worst case scenario you have to turn the steering to get the tire out of the way, and possibly need a breaker bar if the nuts/bolts are rusted up.
FLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
woody96

Question What shocks would you recommend???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAGG
It's about as simple as it gets. You don't need to jack the truck up or anything. Worst case scenario you have to turn the steering to get the tire out of the way, and possibly need a breaker bar if the nuts/bolts are rusted up.
What shocks would you recommend...just looking for a firm, compliant ride...nothing fancy and have standard springs......
woody96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
rolson1039

my shortcut is if the old shocks are kinda rusted and the top bolts arent going to come off too easy stick a ratchet and socket on there i think its 9/16 and bend the thingg to one side then try to ratchet it some and do it the other way after a few times the shank with the nut on it will snap off its usually easier than having the shock turn and ya cant get a vise grip in there to hold the thing... so it makes it easier
Old 01-21-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
FLAGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody96
What shocks would you recommend...just looking for a firm, compliant ride...nothing fancy and have standard springs......
I believe I put Monroe Sensi-Trac's on the front of my '85. I find they do a good job (mostly pavement driving), and were relatively inexpensive. I need to replace the rears this year and have been toying with going with Edelbrock IAS shocks all around for no other reason than to see if it makes a difference.
FLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
76sierraclassic

I replaced the ones on my 76 with some Gabriel's from AutoZone...all 4 for around $110 tax included. They seem to ride just fine to me.

Mike
76sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote