The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
thisolechevy

Exclamation truck is running like crap!!

Hey guys I am in need of dire help!! I was getting my truck ready to drive home from the body shop (whoo-hoo, finally after 2 months) and when the body man moved my truck from the lot into the bay to finish it it cranked right up and sounded great!! then we let it run for a while and shut it off. I had him shave the fuel tank from the cab and I installed a new fuel cell in the bed when the truck was running great this morning I had just run some 5/16" fuel line into the bed and into the filler neck on the old cab-tank. Then I finished installing the fuel cell and plumbed the lines, I then proceeded to pour about 2-gallons of fuel into the fuel cell. After this I poured more fressh fuel into the cell, and cranked the truck and let it run for a couple of minutes. I forgot that I had never connected one of the fuel lines (stupid me) and the truck sputterd to a stop, I connected the lines and now it wont run good at all!!! I checked all lines for kinks and such, cleaned my fuel filter, made sure there was good gas now what? I need help quick
Old 01-22-2005, 12:39 AM   #2
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

did you shut it off & then it wouldnt start? sounds like water in fuel (carb).
if it was running & then died then check the gas cap. it may need to be vented. Im not sure if I am reading this right, just shooting from the hip.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:49 AM   #3
thisolechevy

thanks but the fuel cell has a vent I checked and it is free no problems there, and it was running and then it sputtered and died and since then just won't run good.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
86SILVERADO

If you ran it out of gas then it will take a bit for the fuel level in the float bolw to get back to normal. What kind of carb is it?

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

WATER, thats my theory & I'm sticking to it!
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I second the idea that about it running out of fuel. How about it you pour just a TINY bit of fuel down the carb to give it a prime?
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
franko72
Franko72

I would try priming the fuel line from the cell to the carb. I have tried this in the past with good results. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Have somenone crank the engine while you place your thumb over the end of the fuel line. Apply and remove your thumb like a burping effect till gas reaches the outlet end. Be careful while doing this not to let gas spil onto electrical parts.Disconnect the coil wire from dist. cap and cover it with plastic or foil if you think gas may reach area. I did this on my brothers 77 corvette and it worked .

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
thisolechevy

well I have found out that my mechanical fuel pump has gone out and is letting just enough fuel through to crank and run awful. So I went ahead and purchased a electric fuel pump and I will do the conversion tomorrow after church. I will also run all new fuel lines just to be safe (I am a perfectionist and hate for anything to seem out of place) I plan on removing the fuel cell, draining it and reinstalling it with fresh clean gas, then installing the fuel pump and new lines and priming it to the carb. then hopefully it will start and run great. Any other suggestions?