The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Chevy00

TH400 to 700R4 Swap - Need the Low-Down

I'm planning to swap out the TH400 in my '69 LWB w/ SBC power. Although I know I need a 700 for the Chev pattern, what will I need to be prepared for during the process. I've read so many articles & some contradict one another - I'm looking for help from someone who has made the swap successfully. Also, I've heard there is a mechanism to eliminate the toggle switch to lock the torque converter - Where can I find one?

Thanks in advance -
Chevy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

i did this swap not to long ago in my 68'. you will need the yoke from a th350. i will try to get out and measure the front section of the d/s so you know what yours needs to be. i was able to use the original tranny xmember holes by just loosening the bolts on the frames engine mounts and sliding them forward a little. hardest part about the whole swap was adjusting the TV cable and waiting for the welding shop to finish shortening my d/s.

there is also a whole section on this swap in the FAQ section on this site.

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Let the driveshaft shop tell you how they want it measured. Nobody seems to do the same thing the same way. Nows your chance for a one piece driveshaft too. If not, let the driveshaft shop press on a new carrier bearing for you while they are at it.

I used the TCI kit for the lock-up. Theirs comes with a vacume switch to unlock when you slow down. You can fab one up yourself. I used this link a lot. http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com.../techinfo.html

The TV cable thing is a pain. I used a Bowtie Overdrives tv cable bracket. It took out a lot of headache. Their tech service was outstanding. I would suggest going to a non-stock throttle cable. It is what I have and I have had to replace it allready cause the cable stop on the pedal side pulled through the little plastic piece that keeps it in the pedal. I think something from Lokar would be a lot better. Go to www.700r4.com and look for theit TV Made Easy link.

Pretty much a bolt in. Go for it.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #4
GlennBrittain

I am planning on the same swap, as soon as I get a miss located and fixed. I will be pulling a 350, which means I will have to cut 3" off of the drive shaft. I also have found much confilcting info on the swap, so I will measure before I cut my shaft.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Hi Chevy00, I have the 700r4 in my truck and I love it. I bought it this way so I was curious about the installation so I researched it on the web and I found this site as well as many others. If you type 700r4 in the MSN home page search bar it will give you many sites to look at and they will answer all your questions. Bowtie overdrives is one of the best.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote