The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
69C10

dim/bright head unit!

Hi all,
I just added a subwoofer to the stereo system and when it is turned hi, the light in the head unit pulsates with the rythm of the bass. Should I be worried about this? I am getting a set of component speakers powered by a 400 watt amp in the very near future also.
Thanks,
JB
69C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Putter
More Cowbell....

Maybe a pointless question, but is the Subwoofer connected to an amp, or directly to the head unit? I only ask because you say you are getting a 400 watt amp in the very near future (meaning you don't have it YET). If it is directly to the head unit, that can't be good. You need an amp. But if it is hooked to an amp already, then your headlights and all should also be dimming to the beat! In that case, you need more power captain.

You wouldn's be interested in a 10" SoloBaric would you? I have a brand new one, still in the Kicker cardboard box. Bought it for my car, and literally a few days before I was to install it, some young thugs helped themselves to the rest of my stuff (but the Solobaric was inside the house). It is a 2004 model S10L7.....yep...L-7! I'll let it go cheap (compared to the price of a new one....LESS than half price)
Old 02-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
69C10

Thanks. Wow, I wish we had talked earlier. I would have bought it. The sub is amped and fused, but i used the same hot lead as the head unit. I don't know about the headlights though. Should I run a seperate hot lead for the new 800 amp for the speakers?
Thanks,
JB
69C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Smokie55

This may be a little long winded, so stick with me.

I updated my chargeing system on my burb. It was running a 62 AMP (Orig) Delco alternator. Along with a external voltage reg. I changed the system over to a 78 amp internally regulated version. Now I thought this would be fine for my truck. I don't have any power options and nothing but the standard lights, wipers, heater/AC, you know. Well I added two 10" subs with a 900 watt JVC amp. Plus two 6x9 Sony Xplod with a 560 Watt amp. 900 to the subs and 560 to the 6X9. When I have mine turned up, it pulsates the lights on the head unit and also the headlights dim. And lately I have been having HEI trouble. Starting problems and weak/miss firing. I have gone through two coils and 5 modules in about 10 months. that sucks. So I talked to a few people and the most immediate fix they tell me is to ad a Fared 3.0 capacitor. it will help store some of the amps for when the subs hit. And be less of a draw on the system. I think Iwill have to go to a bigger Alt. soon. And maybe even a new battery from beating this one down so hard.

I am by no means an electrician. but it can't be good to put that pulsating load on a chargeing system that is struggleing. And it can kill an HEI. I would say you definately need to get a capacitor (from crutchfield or somewhere). And maybe even think of upgradeing to a larger Alt.

Good Luck, I know I am dreading buying all this stuff.

Oh and I did ad a Sirius Satellite radio along with a powered FM modulator. All these new goodies are just to much for my little Alt.

F it and Rock on
1972 K5 blazer "Rusty" - 400/TH350/NP205 - Yeah it's big alright!!
- Founding Member of Southern Bowties Club -
Smokie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
Putter
More Cowbell....

JB, you should have a seperate power wire running straight to the battery (in-line fuse, of course) The radio should have a power wire to turn the amp on. The amp should NOT be connected to the power wire of the head unit.
Hope that helps.
ERIC
Old 02-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
RIDDLA

Also clean out all your electrical connections and groundsthat way everything will not burn up.
We had a problem with a 1997 chevy tahoe added four mtx 12s with two amps burnt the battery and alt.
run 8gauge wiring for the amp or bigger
72 Chevy Suburban Blurban
74 Vw Bug
78 Chevy k10 lwb
78 Chevy k10 swb
03 Cadillac Escalade-Duecesix
84 Cadillac Coupe Deville DeElegance

B.O. A Lifestyle Money Cant Buy!
Win,Lose, or Tie
I'm a Raider till i die
RIDDLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #7