The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
special70gmc

O.T. kinda exaust question

was just thinking, 1st off iknow its illegal but who cares , what do you think my truck would sound like if i ditched my 40 series flos ans replaced it with......you got it just pipe to fill the gap? so it would have 1 3/4 headers (i think there 1 3/4) to 3.5 collecters-h-pipe and all 3'' no muffs out the side like it is now. will it sound good or sound like a hunk of crap o yeah its also got about 400 ponies breathin out too (well i hope a couple more after the solid cam swap)

thanks and i know it probly a dumb idea but i kinda want it louder, any other cool ideas? thanks -kyle
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
GMC71k20

if you just want loud as possible, cut the mufflers off and just leave the pipe that ran to it. the longer the pipes the less loud itll be. youll get more incab noise if you dont run it out to the side though
GMC71k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
draino76
FUJIMO

Just put glasspacks on it, that will raise the sound level and the cops will have a harder time stickin you with a ticket. Cherry bombs installed with the open end of the louvers facing away from the exhaust flow are nearly as loud as straight pipes.

I dont mind confusion, I create it!

draino76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by draino76
Just put glasspacks on it, that will raise the sound level and the cops will have a harder time stickin you with a ticket. Cherry bombs installed with the open end of the louvers facing away from the exhaust flow are nearly as loud as straight pipes.
Glass packs work for a while but then they get louder and could still get you a ticket. I know at least in Alabama it could because I know from experience. I had a monte carlo with manifolds true duals and glass packs and a city cop pulled me over and wrote me a ticket. I had to put some turbos on it and take it to the police station and let them look at it then appear in court and the judge dismissed the ticket.

Special, sound is a matter of opinion. Harleys get by all the time with LOUD OBNOXIOUS pipes and so do diesel trucks but put loud pipes on a car or truck and blue lights flash. in my opinion (take it for what it's worth) straight pipes are loud and cracking. I would keep the flowmasters.
modifiedGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #5
draino76
FUJIMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifiedGMC
Glass packs work for a while but then they get louder and could still get you a ticket. I know at least in Alabama it could because I know from experience. I had a monte carlo with manifolds true duals and glass packs and a city cop pulled me over and wrote me a ticket. I had to put some turbos on it and take it to the police station and let them look at it then appear in court and the judge dismissed the ticket.

Special, sound is a matter of opinion. Harleys get by all the time with LOUD OBNOXIOUS pipes and so do diesel trucks but put loud pipes on a car or truck and blue lights flash. in my opinion (take it for what it's worth) straight pipes are loud and cracking. I would keep the flowmasters.

I thought louder was the end result he was looking for
Just trying to help the guy out, at least if he got pulled over the cops would see a muffler of some type and he would be getting the extra volume he wants. Sometimes loud and obnoxious can be a lot of fun

I dont mind confusion, I create it!

draino76 is offline   Reply With Quote