The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
69 Short Fleet

Thumbs down Atempted truck theft?

I had 2 guys at my place last night around 3 AM. I was sleeping and my mom heard someone walking on our deck which woke her up, she looked out the blind and saw a small ricer car driving really slow with no headlights. She opened the blind quickly and they took off.... I usually have my truck parked around the corner (where its not as visable) but yesterday I put it in the driveway as I had to change a fuel line (gas tank) and left it there overnight. I was darn lucky mom scared them away, but now I'm a bit paranoid, thinking of pulling the coil wire and maybe buying one of those "Club" steering wheel locks (just to make it less attractive to steal) I don't know any thoughts? I am usually up quite late at night but last night I wasn't, I'd like to nail these friggin lowlifes.....
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
TsgtE662
2A674 Tank Rat

You could also pull the ignition fuses so it can't be started too. That would be easier than pulling the coil wire. Or do both which ever you prefer.

'92 GMC Sierra, Sportside, 2wd, 350, Black
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4 x 4, Blue
USAFR = 2A674 = Aircraft Fuel Systems Maintenance
i.e. Tank Rat
TsgtE662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
2low72

A battery cut-off switch works for me. I just hide it so nobody knows where it is.
They can have the cd player, it was given to me anyways

Hey TsgtE662 nice to see other NCO's on the board
Old 02-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
HeavyD

The cut off switch sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Put a ground switch in your door jam and run the hot wire to your horn. Put a hidden toggle swith somewhere in between so you can turn it off in the daytime.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
69 Short Fleet

Thanks guys, I'm going to rig something up!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
grayw0lf

You could always wire the ignition coil to the ignition key. They'd have a shocking good time!
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayw0lf
You could always wire the ignition coil to the ignition key. They'd have a shocking good time!
we used to do that to our forklift guys at work. leave a little bare wire on the seat and watch the fun.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 PM   #9
67cst
i love summertime

doug that is brutal! im strongly concidering an alarm for mine, andre's car audio has a deal on them right now...hey you know what you should do- i just thought of this..princess auto has these led blinking lights, there is 5 or 6 i think lined up in a small plastic case, off the case runs a wire with an inline switch then maybe another 6 feet of wire. get one of those and set the led thing on your dash and run the wire though the speaker grill on the dash then to your fuse box..flip the switch on at night and that sucker will lightup good...just an idea anyways for the 12 bucks or whatever they were priced at i bet theives would think twice

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
smitty62

Put a shut off valve in the fuel line--that'll let 'em get just a couple of blocks away. Let them try to lie their way out of that. If you stop them in progress they'll never serve any time--unless you live on the west coast--then they'll never even be wrist-slapped!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #11
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty62
Put a shut off valve in the fuel line--that'll let 'em get just a couple of blocks away. Let them try to lie their way out of that. If you stop them in progress they'll never serve any time--unless you live on the west coast--then they'll never even be wrist-slapped!
Unless of course you live in Texas... then you can shoot them.
Quote:
§ 9.41. Protection of One's Own Property
(a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.
(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

§ 9.42. Deadly Force to Protect Property
A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means;
(not like I can flag him down when he's driving away right???) or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

§ 9.43. Protection of Third Person's Property
A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or
(2) the actor reasonably believes that:
(A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property;
(B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or
(C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
(I highlighted the parts I think applies here)
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 02-02-2005 at 10:27 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #12
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Well, there would be 2 ways to steal mine. One is to hotwire it and if I can't hear it then I've gone deaf, the other way is to push it over the car in the driveway in it's way. Either way, I think I could just about leave the keys in it and be ok. Besides, my Sanford and Son special might get brought back out of pity.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
67ChevyC10Stepside

i like randys idea make it where when they open the door the horn goes off.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #14
71Chevy4-speed
Speed Limit = Floorboard

lol this is a good thread to keep in mind, not that anybody woulda wanna steal my truck right now anyways...but for in the future. haha I figured one of the best things to fight stealing of cars is get a stick..... half the kids these days don't know or don't even wanna learn how to drive one.
71Chevy4-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #15
Americanrider

I like Todd's idea... just shoot 'em! I keep a 12ga by the door, 1st load is dove&quail shot, noisy but harmless..next is 2 loads of 3 inch Nitro Mag..REAL Noisy & Lotsa Fire out the muzzle.. and harmful... and if they'r still twichin' 2 loads of good old '00 BUCKSHOT. I had to stop one guy up in my yard at 3am with the Mossburg 500 in my hand, never had a problem since.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #16
powell72

69 Short Fleet, don't take this lighty, my dad had the same thing happen to him, two days later he went out to his car in the morning and his 87 Monte was gone.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:42 AM   #17
4x4Poet

I'd like to chime in with my usual recommendation. Whatever you do, lock down the hood with a chain or cable. You can encase the chain in a bicycle tube to prevent noise and metal-on-metal rubbing.

Edit: They have ricers in Canada? America is a bad influence.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:36 AM   #18
meathead95
computer illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Short Fleet
I had 2 guys at my place last night around 3 AM. I was sleeping and my mom heard someone walking on our deck which woke her up,....
if they where on my deck i would be more worried of them breaking into the house then stealing my truck
Old 02-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #19
69 Short Fleet

Good replies! I read a report recently from ICBC (our main government auto insureance) and it said that 95% of all stolen vehicals in British Columbia are taken for "Joy Riding Purposes" and the other 5% are taken to chop shops or resold. But the sad thing is there's not enough "love" in respect to classic trucks & cars with the insureance companies. They could care less in regards to the great pains we take to preserve them and keep them on the road. Whats the blue book value on a 1969 chev truck...... well the book doesn't go back that far so......... it must have no value, sad attitude for trying to keep a segment of american history on the road.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:49 AM   #20
muddyole 69

Talking theft

knew a guy who worked at a coal mine had a friend who worked in the part that handled the dynamite he wired a stick under the drivers seat whenever he left it sit for long periods of time, he lived in a bad neighborhood told a few of the local kids about the anti theft device and never had a bit of trouble with anyone messing with his car. I thought he was full of $__t he unlocked the car and pulled it out from under the seat, one crazy dude with a serious love for his vette not something I would do but local laws vary