The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #1
floyd

S10 front track width??

I have a 50 chevy pu and I want to put ifs in it I already have done a 78 camaro clip in my 55 2nd series (about 7-8 years ago)And I like it but that clip is too wide and I dont want to use a mustang II. So would an s10 work?I need track width and frame rail widths if anybody has them.Thanks
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

this is my 48 bus on a s10 frame, the frame is about 40inches wide but i have no idea at the moment what the track is on the s10 rearend. BUT if you do use a s10 frame get a S10 4x4 rearend, cause its wider & will work better under it.....joe
here's some sites about doing a s10 frame swap
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8491
http://chevytrucks.org/tech/s10_frame_swap.htm
http://www.mongosgarage.com/S47/progress.htm
http://www.usbody.com/Pages_Info/F-Installations.htm
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
crews
It just doesn't matter

This is the exact frame I am planning on using on my '50. I think the track is a little on the narrow side ( as you can see from the picture of Joe's 48 bus) so I am considering widening mine by 2 inches. I think the ideal track width you are looking for is 60". I think the S-10 is around 58". The perfect clip is the rear steer Camaro/ Nova style from the late 60's, but those are hard to come by anymore. One you may want to consider is a late 70's early 80's "G" body GM car (Malibu, Olds Cutlass, Buick Regal etc.) I have heard of those being installed with good results. They utilize the same basic components as an S-10 ( spindles, springs etc.)

If I find any more info out, I will post it here.

Later-
crews

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
floyd

Thanks, I dont want to change the whole frame.I am not afraid of a little frame slice and dice as I said before I have already done a clip install in my GMC 55 second series.And I think the camaro clip 74-81 is too wide(It was almost too wide for my 55)I have an early rear steer camaro 67-69(68-72 nova is the same) clip here but the frame rails are too wide and track width is 58-59 inches I was wondering what the s10 frame rail width was?(About 12-14 inches behind shock mount holes in the front coil spring buckets)Heres a pic of my 55 just to show it off a bit.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
crews
It just doesn't matter

Floyd- you need to bring that 55 GMC out for some more pics!!!!

As for your point, you are correct that the front steer camaro clips are too wide for the AD model trucks.....That's why I am doing the S-10...the frame rails are supposed to be the exact width but IMHO the track is a little narrow. I don't want to run off set wheels to keep the wheel in the right spot. And i am NOT doing the whole frame swap either....I don't want to have to g othrough all of the re-mounting that goes on with the bed and such...my truck is pretty solid and very original, so I am doing everything I can to keep it that way.....

The 55 you have looks awesome...please help the rest of us with some of your experience and knowledge!!

Last edited by crews; 03-09-2005 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
floyd

Ok heres the specs on the 55 ->78 camaro clip, 10 bolt rear with eaton posi 3.42 gears ,327 .030 over, edelbrock aluminum heads,intake, 600 carb,engine raised with custom mounts, full length dynomax jet coated headers,flow master 2 chambers.Body->shaved door handles,smooth tailgate,roll pan with billet tail lights,white oak bedwood with stainless strips.Oh and that is tinted primer its been that way for over 8-9years .misc- chromed 16inch iroc wheels,3 speed auto trans,power steering,w/tilt column,power brakes and FLAME THROWERS<---most recent mod(and my favorite so far)i will get more pics as it warms up here.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
crews
It just doesn't matter

COOL!!!

Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

to get a wider track up front you can do a Tall Spindle Swap
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/lonestar...allspindle.htm it says it's for a 64-72 A-Bodies but works on S-10's
http://www.darklair.com/monte/12in-brake.html about the same as above
you also can use spindles from 2000(i believe) and up S10 Blazer. & then use the hub from the last gen Camaro & you can put just about any size 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern rotor that will fit inside your rims.. i believe someone makes the calipor brackets but dont have a site on hand at the moment..........joe
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I have a 50 on an S10 frame. There are pictures HERE if you want to get an idea of the width.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
chevytruckfan
Account Suspended

Use a 71 up, It is a bolt in installation to the original frame you will need about 1/2 spacer on each side, but I did mine in about 2 weekends. 1 weekend to unbolt IFS and rear from donor. Then 1 weekend to install.
chevytruckfan is offline   Reply With Quote