The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Meterman64c10

Steering Column problems 64 c10 3 speed

well i was takeing my truck down the highway when i came into a large strech of potholes... well after that, my steering wheel catches when i turn the wheel and moves up and down in the column... i looked in LMC catolge, i didn't see anything like an upper bearing?? can someone tell me if its got one, and where i can get one? thanks
Meterman64c10
Meterman64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
littlee_domn8r
AKA "Hurricane Hank"

There is a bearing in the turnsignal switch. Not sure if that's what you mean by upper bearing.

"They say hard work never killed anyone, But why take a chance?

63 GMC C10 Custom LWB 355/350 AT
00 Chevy Silverado 1500 base V6/AT
07 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 5.3 V8
littlee_domn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
apachetrucks

Does it move from side to side? If so you will need to pull the steering wheel and you will see the bearing at the top of the steering column. I think it has a green wire that runs down the inside of the column and connects to a wire from the harness for the horn.
If the steering wheel moves in and out, it would feel like you can pull the shaft out of the mast jacket,the adjuster has come loose.If this is the case you will find the adjustment for this at the top of the steering column. You will see a angular slot in the steeribg column tube (mast jacket) that has a screw in it.Loosen the screw and move it clockwise in the slot as far as you can with your fingers then tighten the screw.Check this adjustment by turning the steering wheel to make sure its not binding.You should be good to go!!!!
apachetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
64fleetside

Check the bottom bearing also, I have had a couple fall apart while driving. Tiny ball bearings on the driveway was the 1st hint. Really best to replace both bearings at once, they are cheap. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
wims66

O.K. that is advice what works for me to ,now i now the cure for my steeringwheel side to side movement.
Where can i order such bearings ?
And is it difficult to replace them?
'01 simplex
wims66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
65 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meterman64c10
well i was takeing my truck down the highway when i came into a large strech of potholes... well after that, my steering wheel catches when i turn the wheel and moves up and down in the column... i looked in LMC catolge, i didn't see anything like an upper bearing?? can someone tell me if its got one, and where i can get one? thanks
Meterman64c10
Sounds like maybe your steering wheel is loose allowing the wheel to move up and down. The potholes might have caused something to break. I'd check it very close before driving again. Good luck. 65 Step
65 Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #7
Meterman64c10

its a side to side movement, i will take it apart and check it out, thanks for the advise guys!!!

Meterman64c10
Meterman64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
apachetrucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims66
O.K. that is advice what works for me to ,now i now the cure for my steeringwheel side to side movement.
Where can i order such bearings ?
And is it difficult to replace them?
The top bearing is not hard at all.The lower can be a booger if you have'nt done it before,but its not that big of a deal as long as you take your time and keep up with all the pieces you will be removing.I use a simple piece of cardboard and lay the parts out in the order that I remove them so as I reassemble them I can get them back in the correct order.
UPPER BEARING: Remove the horn cap and parts,remove the steering wheel and at this point you will see the top of the bearing on the steering shaft.Dis connect the GREEN horn wire from the harness underneath the steering column below the dash.At this point I tie a piece of string to the end of that wire,about 24" of string is plenty,this string will be the way you feed the new horn wire back thru the column once the bearing is removed.Remove the bearing from the shaft.If the old bearing is difficult to remove I use a slide hammer type bearing puller to get it out.The horn wire is part of the upper bearing assembly so feed your string up thru the column and untie it from the horn wire leaving the string in the column.IF RELACING BOTH UPPER AND LOWER BEARING GO TO THE LOWER BEARING PROCEDURE AND REPLACE THE LOWER BEARING BEFORE REPLACING THE UPPER BEARING AND STEERING WHEEL.
If not replacing the lower bearing,tie the end of the new horn wire to the string and reverse the above procedure.You have installed a upper steering shaft bearing with horn wire.
You can buy the bearings from most classic chevy parts suppliers.
Hope this helps.If you need the lower bearing replacment procedure just let me know and I will try to post it for you,it is very involved.
apachetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote