The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #1
muddpile

Leafs and Bags

I've searched and searched and I can't come up with much of an answer. I am one of these poor guys with a leaf spring truck that is great for hauling, but not so great for lowering. I have considered a lowered leaf (lots of money), a shackle kit (only 2" of drop) and a flip kit (more drop than I want). I have thought about getting my springs de-arched too, but again I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I see a lot of bagged trucks around here, and figured it might not be a bad idea to try it, but I have no idea where to start. I am going to use my truck as a truck to haul a bit of stuff with, so just removing a bunch of leafs and doing a bag setup is not an option. Is there any way to do this, or is it pretty well impossible.

Also, what all would I need to bag the front? It doesn't look nearly as hard, but still, I'd better find out before I dive into this project. Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Shev
Head Peon

Here's a couple of links to posts that may help

Link to air over leaf discussion

Illustrated Air Bag Installation Guide

Links are fixed

Last edited by Shev; 02-06-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
smbrouss70

both links are to mrshelley's guide with a coil spring rear

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
2low72

Here's what you need to bag the front
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=139563
Old 02-07-2005, 01:18 AM   #5
muddpile

Thanks for the help thus far guys. The front looks pretty self explanitory, but the back is still a problem area for me. And if I don't do the back, I won't be doing the front. Maybe I'll just buy a set of spindles, shackles and live with it if all else fails, but having bags would be so much cooler.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
2low72

I have rear leafs and will be 4 linking it when i get back from this next deployment. goodbye leafs springs!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
72MARIO

Just get the springs dearched ? It's cheep and easy. If you decide to use a drop shackle and you have a wood floor make sure you call ECE and get there 1.5" drop shackle the 2" will hit the wood floor. I have a 2" drop shackle and 3" dearched that way my springs would not be totally flat. I had to notch my wood floor to clear the drop shackle. I really don't think there is a problem with the dearched springs. The ART system loks pretty god but it cost quite a bit more that the drop shackle and dearched springs.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #8
muddpile

So 72Mario, what you are saying is forget about the bags and just get my springs de-arched and use shackles to lower it the required 4" I want?

My next question is, does de-arching springs come with any unforseen consequences? For example, can I still haul a decent sized load on it, and will it ride and handle well? I will be purchasing some 2" shackles, as the truck has a tin box floor, and getting the springs de-arched 2" also. The front end will be lowered about the same using spindles and drop springs. Just low enough to get rid of the wheelgap, yet should still have a good amount of ground clearance (or did I miscalculate and will now have to slow down majorly when coming up to rough spots?).
Old 02-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
JonnyTechMech
STOP! Hamma time!!!

This is a tough one is it not? I have an 87 GMC and I plane to drop 4” in the front and 5” in the rear. I have the same dilemma. I want that dropped look and still have a useful truck. I would think having someone to de-arching the original springs would weaken the leafs. (via heating and bending; not certain of the process). I decided that if I really wanted to work with what I got and have my cake too. Sacrifice and paid for the (4 or 5) in drop leaf springs from a manufacture. At least you will have the peace of mind that someone has done the QA and can give you some So far, I’ve found the lowest price of $379.00 from Performance online (www.performanceonline.com). I ‘ve only priced there springs and Classic Performance Products leaf springs which are $400.00 and have to be special ordered. www.classicperformace.com

I’m still looking for a lower price. Also keep in mind that lowered shocks will have to accompany the lowered suspension. I don’t intend to haul very heavy stuff. Just occasional furniture relocation. If you do lower the leaf springs, I would suggest looking into the airoverleaf from Air Ride Tech http://www.airride.com/productinfo/airoverleaf.asp ; if hauling heavy is a issue. At least contact them and get some insight. But that more money for that setup.

So… comes down to, is it worth it or leave it. If you do it, do it right the first time. Even reconstructive surgery on car and trucks are not cheap. Just don't go Mono Leaf, just looking at it, look like trouble.

My 2 cent,

JonnyTM
JonnyTechMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
72MARIO

The dearching process is simply just cold pressing each spring 2" flatter one at a time. If you are only going 2" of spring I really doubt it would hurt the ride. How does it ride with a 1000 pounds in it ? Well I guess that not a good comparison. You can try it. And I would forget the air ride for now and see how you like it. If you find the rear squats a bit sooner with alot of weight you could add air ride. Or when you go to the spring shop just get another spring added and have 3" taken out of your springs.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
JonnyTechMech
STOP! Hamma time!!!

I need to clear something up, just incase other read my post and get confused. The 72-79 Chevy/GMC’s are somewhat unique, in that aftermarket parts and manufactures may target them for various reasons. The pricing for these parts may be a bit cheaper than what it would be for an 87 Chevy /GMC’s. Depending on the aftermarket manufacture, the parts may overlap from 72-87. But, it seem to me, that the 87 models are treated like a buck-tooth step children. You may find the part, but the price goes up compared to other years. Then down again for the 88’s and so on.

All in all, the prices I’ve mentioned in my previous post are what I researched for a 87 GMC. I found a post from TX Firefighter about leaf springs and he mentioned zmotive.com. You might check that site out.
JonnyTechMech is offline   Reply With Quote