The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

PS on a 67 I6

I want to put power steering and disc brakes on my 67 3/4 ton,and I have the box,pump,spindles rotors and a torch for the frame.My question is what brackets do I need? I am going to swap the Alt to an internal model as well,and originality isn't important.Can I use the brackets from any 250 as long as I get the pulleys as well?
I don't care that it is original,just functional.Making it into a shop truck cause my 1/2 ton is weak in the butt
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:49 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Make sure the 250 is not a later model integrated head.. The brackets mount differently and the spacing of the pulleys/harmonic balancer is different. I have not done mine yet, but I needed a new water pump pulley (dual grove) and picked up a pump and bracket assembly from board vendor. Depending on your pump set up you may not need another pulley bracket. They can be set up to work on the first groove or second groove (mine). If you have a first grove pump pulley, then you'll just need to get a longer belt and run everything off the one.

I'm still looking for a box, the one I was counting on is messed up bad.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Thanks BIll,guess I'll have some junkyard trips to make to get the brackets.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Rusty, I don't know if 3/4 tons are different, but I ran into big problems trying to convert my '67 K/10 Suburban to P/S. I used a steering gear box from a '69 GMC C/1500 panel truck [should have taken the owner up on buying the whole panel truck, in retrospect -- but that's another issue]. The problem was that 1967 model year used Power "Assisted" Steering with side mounted actuators.[Corvettes used them for a while longer] Trying to use the later system didn't work, the Steering gearbox kept shearing bolts on the frame and pushed my left front spring perch around, and my steering geometry was AFU. I could not make a tight left turn anymore. I found out '67 was the last year for an older system that GM used from the mid-'60s. We had to cut and short-splice the draglink, and finally, when I had to go back to Manual steering, it was still never the same.
My solution would be to convert the front end to a Dana 44 from a later ['69-'77] K/ series truck which would also give me power disc brakes. But that's a future project. The Sub's been sitting since Thanksgiving '98 when I had to tow it home after the 454 lunched on me.
Series -20 may be different, however, I don't know much about 3/4 tons.
Good luck.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-12-2005 at 07:35 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote