The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
rustyg

Cross country trip update

Some of you might recall me trying to get the Suburban ready for my move to Pa. from Ca. I thought I'd give an update since I'm sitting here with time to burn in Flagstaff Az. In the last two months Daisy (the burb) got a new 383 (10:1, .480 lift, vortec heads, Holley 670 truck avenger) New 35'' bfg a/t's, 4-core rad , Flex a lite fans, rebuilt 700 r4, brakes all around, new rear wheel seals and bearings. Had a demon on her but got so frustrated trying to tune it last minute, that I went and bought a holley and fired right up, heater core gave up 2 days before moving, got it replaced though, new grill, h-4's. My justification for all this $pending was to have a reliable ride to get me and the 2 Great Danes to Pa. The wife is following in her truck and the kids flew there last week. Well, after about 100 miles we stopped for a restroom break and I had some valve noise so I adjusted valves and went on. Another 100 miles, same thing, adjusted again. When we arrived in Flagstaff I noticed the roller on the valve side, exhaust-#5 cylinder was giving up from slapping, I think. So we called it a night and got a room. I thought just the rocker was bad so I found one in this morning, but when I put it on There was about 1/4'' between the push rod and rocker so I measured the rocker studs to see if it was lifting, nope. The only thing we could assume was that the cam has a bad lobe, so I found a local shop over-nighting a cam and installing tomorrow. The shop just called and said there are 3 different length push-rods, the shortest one is where I had the problem So new push rods, lifters, cam going in tomorrow, loading up the dogs and 2400 miles to go. Wish me luck-look for the green burb coming to a city near you, hopefully under its own power
72 GMC Burb 4x4
rustyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

THAT SUCKS, IF YOU END UP COMING THROUGH TN. ON I-40 AND NEED A
BREAK JUST STOP IN, I LUV DANES, OH YEA, AND PEOPLE TO, I PM'D YA
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote