The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Z28Owner

Airbag question.....

Can you run rear airbags like you run air shocks? Like where u run 2 bags , then two lines to a T connection then one to a fill valve? Also do u need a guage to see how much pressure is in the bags? I was considering drop spidles and springs in front and rear bags. Thanks for info.
350/350 3:42 eaton
Z28Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yes it can be done that way. Why are you wanting to though? Is it for towing?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
Z28Owner

Well I just assumes that would be my cheapest way to run bags. I really like the look of the 4/6 drop , but I use my truck everynow and then, sometimes to haul a car, and I dont want the springs to be a weakness. I dont really care to lay frame and all that, pretty much want a level ride height and when I do sometimes haul something I am able to adjust the bags of possible. Just wondering what I would need to order. Like shocks and what kind of bags, lines, and valves.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
smokekiki
Mike

Run a seperate line and fill valve for each bag.That way there isn't any air transfer in corners.Without having a compressor,just use schrader valves.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
TOYOTA61384

What smokekiki refered to as air transfer is going around a turn, all the air will come out of the outside bag and want to go into the inside bag, making body roll terrible. I guess if you had a good sway bay it would help, but both bags independant would be much better, and the preferred method.

Robert
TOYOTA61384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Shane65

The front is where you really need to have each bag independant of the other for cornering purposes. The rear is not as critical unless you are pulling some high g's when cornering. I've often wondered about using four bags at the rear. They would be the small sleeve type. By varying the amount of air in the bags(by this I mean 55 psi in the one and 20 in the other as an example) you could really dial in the height and spring rate. You would have a wider range of options for height, spring rate and load capacity. The smaller sleeve type aren't too big in diameter and I'm sure wouldn't be big problem fitting them in. Extra cost for the sleeves and their control would add to the cost of a pair of bags but may be worth it. Comments anybody?
Shane65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane65
The rear is not as critical unless you are pulling some high g's when cornering.
My truck's idea of high G's is turning at a slight angle when pulling in and out of the garage... and when my rear bags were teed together (about 5 years ago), the transfer issue was atrocious... it actually ate up the tire sidewalls rubbing on the bed walls. After nothing more than decoupling the rears, the tire rub was practically nonexistent. Again... we're talking about the G's of easing into a driveway at about 2 miles per hour. BTW, my truck is swaybar-less front and rear, and so that definitely contributed to the air transfer effects.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Z28Owner

Ok, I am getting ready to redo my suspension, new ball joints, tie rods, spindles, and all that good stuff. So what about the pressure in the bags do I need some kind of guage? And If I order a bag for each cornor, (I have coil rear setup) and get brackets for the front. All I need to do is run lines seperate for each bag with those valves? Could I run them all to a tank and just manually fill the tank? Basically with everything listed above I am not gonna be able to get a compresser at this time. All these suspension parts are expensive! Thanks.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
smokekiki
Mike

Personaly,I would do the rear with seperate schrader valves,and wait to do the front when I had the funds for a compressor and electric valves.The front is more criticle to maintain the pressure at which Your ride alignment was made at.You need to keep it at that pressure,or very near it to keep from wearing the tires.With the rear only set the pressure with a tire gauge.If it needs more or less air to improve the ride just add or remove some.