The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Drogster
Stroke it!

Exclamation Planning out a project - where do I begin?

OK guys, I hope I'm not putting the cart before the horse...tomorrow at this time I may be the owner of Bagged74's (Tracey) 68 C10 swb.

I want to TRY and do this build-up the right way. My previous vehicles ('66 Chevy BelAir, '64 Dodge Polara) turned out the wrong way - never finished 'em. I don't think I had a long-term vision of what I wanted.

Anyhow...do any of you sit down with pen and paper and start a plan for your projects? If so, do you have any suggestions on how you come up with your plan?

Pretty much just looking for suggestions, nothing concrete cuz I know my truck will be different than your truck, etc...but I would expect there are some generalities that can apply anywhere.

Thanks!

Nitrous is for those who don't know how to build.
Drogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
cableguy0

having a set plan never seems to work i think its easier to just tear into and start
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Start out with a goal of what you want it to look like and have in it. Research what everything will cost. Then you make a time line and a budget you want to stay within. Then you double your estimate for time and budget, and you will be pretty close.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
cdowns

the best start for a project is a large bank account
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Do small, weekend mods so you don't lose interest. A full frame off is silly unless you have the fund$,... or have a way to keep the funds coming in while you work. I have looked at posts of that truck also. (bagged74's) It would look great slammed with a set of ralley wheels. Later you can upgrade to nicer wheels,... or maybe bags,... or whatever. Most important is to make it a reliable, dependable driver. Make it comfortable to drive. Good exhaust, brakes, etc. Make sure everything works. Enjoy your truck!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
1STtimePRo'71

I always say start with the motor and drivetrain. Mostly because this will cost the most. I wouldn't want to be almost done with a project with the most expensive mods left to do.
=My 2 cnts

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
SCOTI

If you've stalled on other projects, identify your failures. Plan around those failures.

If your work space is limited (like a 2-car garage), don't take it completely apart. I found out the hard way it's much more difficult to maintain your passion when your disgusted because you can't even walk through the garage/shop, nevermind work out there. Like lolife99 said, small weekend projects to keep the momentum going.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:21 PM   #8
Gary Lee
fixer of 72 GMC LWB

been there too...

I have both failed and succeeded... I haven't done classic GM yet, but its starting to look as though this 72 GMC is about to see a rolling restification...

First take lots of pics... see as many of the project you're starting, get ideas, order catalogs, make a wish list... make a budget to include when and where the cash will come from... then look in the mirror and ask yourself if you really want to do this? YES!!!!

I agree with make a plan, then double the time and money, because once you tear into A, you see while I have it apart, I need to fix B... research order parts, another week or two and, this goes over and over..... I plan it one of 2 ways...

a longterm restification- I start with stripping the project...(trim, fluids, Label everything and use lotsof lil ziploc bags for screws and such...) put it up and start on the body and mechanicals so I tear open the projects and divy up everything into lil projects... I plan the project as a series of lil projects.... I try to have the parts for the next 3 on hand so when I have a setback on one, I can move on to another...

Roller:- I start with mechanicals because I need the vehicle to keep rolling... I plan a series of lil projects till I can move on to bigger and better things... I do bodywork as I can... last is paint then interior...

The one common thing about any project... the plan is flexible and many times, gets thrown all the way out of the window!!! The lil projects get shifted and juggled around as new one arise, time constraints, and the big killers. the two M's... money and the real kller is motivation...

If I can't see the projects getting done, I have always failed and quit or did it half-@asked and sold it off...

I say go fer it

Gary
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 PM   #9
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Also, go to some truck shows, and take a camera and notebook. If you see something you like, talk to the owner about it. Most of us are nice guys. Heck, I have yet to have shot anyone for touching my truck!

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:49 PM   #10
beagler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STtimePRo'71
I always say start with the motor and drivetrain. Mostly because this will cost the most. I wouldn't want to be almost done with a project with the most expensive mods left to do.
=My 2 cnts
I haven't done a project of this size !YET! (Key-Word) but I'm the opposite of that I would rather do the frame body work first then get to the heart of he matter. That away I'm pushing to do the body work and get it done so I can start on the motor. As said above just my 2 cents nothing wrong with doing it either way just preference I guess.

redz 1970 K5
"Time has stopped for our classic trucks, and as such maintain nostalgia and simplicity of the vehicles and of an era passed."
beagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 AM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

Some good info in this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=139825

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:24 AM   #12

Project

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and throw my 2 cents worth in here. Tracey is my son. He got this truck from my mother, she got it from my uncle. It's been in our family for over 20 years, so I'm a little partial to it. If I didn't already have too many "projects", it would be mine. But, to answer your question; This truck has a lot of miles left in it with regular maintenance and maybe an occasional minor repair. That said, I think you'd enjoy the truck a lot more if you'd do the simpler or less time consuming modifications first and still be able to drive it. Start with a disc brake and 5 lug wheel upgrade with a faster rear end gear. Then move on to an engine/transmission rebuild or upgrade. When you get all the mechanicals worked out to suit you, then move on to the body and paint. Save the interior, glass, weatherstripping, etc. for last as they're usually the finishing touches anyway.
Like I said, this is just my 2 cents worth, but I've seen a lot of people jump into a project too far, too fast and then abandon it for lack of interest or money, or both. JMHO, Frank
72402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:32 AM   #13
biglump67
biglump67

What do you want out of it? a daily driver, or a head turner? Are you going to drive it in a Michigan winter? I have never really restored anything, but have cleaned up plenty of things and made them dependable,and useable. It would make no sense putting a $2500.oo paint job on a truck and run it in an upper michigan winter.
I have learned that by the time you fix up a $1000.oo vehicle to look like the same one they want $4500.oo for you end up putting more money into the cheaper one. I have $6000.oo into my 79 4x4, and it looks like a pos. I could have gotten a much nicer one for $6k, but it is roadworthy,and Im not afraid to scratch it in the woods.
The kids down the street are into the lowrider thing. They put awesome paint and stereos in these things, but I doubt they would ever take them out of town, let alone out of state. They were shocked when I took my 79 beater to Kentucky, and up to the U.P where I grew up ( Marquette). I would rather have something dependable, than something that looks sharp. If I buy anything else I will spend $3-4k, and get something roadworthy. Rebuilt trans, engines, leafsprings,steering box, balljoints ect ad up real quick.
biglump67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #14
Drogster
Stroke it!

Hey thanks to everyone for all the replies. As much as I hate computers, I love these web forums - SO MANY good people w/good information and experience. Gotta love it.

I know the problem I had with the '66 is I lost my job - couldn't afford to keep the car (needed the $$$ from it). As for the '64 Dodge, well...unless you've got REALLY REALLY deep pockets, stay away from trying to restore a '64 Mopar - there are NO parts available (body, interior, etc) that don't cost a mint.

That's one of the things that I really like about Chevy stuff - tons of aftermarket support. That definately helps keep the $$$ down (somewhat). But knowing that if worse comes to worse and I need a new ______, I can go to brothers.com and order it from them, or one of 10 other places.

I want a good 20/20 truck - looks real good at 20 feet away driving at 20 mph. I don't want a show-quality truck (can't afford it, anyways!). I'm a hard-working guy in the U.S. Coast Guard, and need to keep an eye on the cash-ola.

I already know the direction I want to go - definately not slamming anything. I prefer the "muscletruck" stance. Engine? WHo knows. It runs and drives now, so I don't need to do a heart transplant right away.

Thanks again. Frank, hopefully that truck will be sold tomorrow to me. If it does, I promise you I will take good care of it. I know what "family" vehicles mean to people. I'll do it right.

Andy

Nitrous is for those who don't know how to build.
Drogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:50 AM   #15
GMC AMI

Good luck Drogster, just don't make the same mistake I did and go off the deep end and try to fix up 5 trucks all at the same time. Talk about a drain on the old wallet.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #16
GreyHoundSteve

I bought what i thought was an already somewhat restored 67 back in October and my "PLAN" was to drop it off at the shop and just look it over mechanically before i sold my other car and here i am in February with over $15k invested in a custom that the end is nowhere in sight on.

My point is .... i havent spoke with a truck owner yet who only has done what he set out to do because the deeper you did into one of these trucks the more involved your plan becomes. Unless you truck is 100% clean and your just wanting to modify a few things ..... your in for alot more than you can expect.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote