The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
sb400

Many 79 4x4 ball joint questions

So I need a new upper ball joint on the driver's side. I have never worked on a 4wd axle before, so how hard it is to get to these things? I have a shop manual for an '82, mine is a '79 with manual hubs. Is it all the same?

Three of the four joints on my rig do not have grease fittings. One of the lower joints does have a grease fitting. Would it be safe to assume that the odd joint has been replaced? (that's not the side that is making noise).

Also, the joints appear to have big snap rings holding them in. Are they pressed in too, or would I be lucky enough to have them just come out when I remove the snap ring?

Does replacing the joints affect the alignment?

One more question...if it is a real chore to remove the steering knuckle, should I consider replacing the u-joint in the axle too? How hard it that? There are some clicking noises coming from the front end when the hubs are locked and the transfer case is in 2wd mode.

Thanks for your help from a 4wd newbie.
sb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 AM   #2
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Yeah, your oddball 1 with the grease nipple on it probably has been replaced before. I would replace them all at the same time or atleast both the 1s on either side at the same time. Just doing 1 is not worht it because it will get ruined very quick because its new and the other 1 is shot. I had it done for me because I did n't want to screw anything up? So I don't have any idea on how to do it. Yes it should effect your alingment, I think.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:17 AM   #3
soleeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb400
So I need a new upper ball joint on the driver's side. I have never worked on a 4wd axle before, so how hard it is to get to these things? I have a shop manual for an '82, mine is a '79 with manual hubs. Is it all the same? YES THEY ALL COME APART THE SAME

Three of the four joints on my rig do not have grease fittings. One of the lower joints does have a grease fitting. Would it be safe to assume that the odd joint has been replaced? (that's not the side that is making noise). POSSIBLY

Also, the joints appear to have big snap rings holding them in. Are they pressed in too, or would I be lucky enough to have them just come out when I remove the snap ring? THEY ARE PRESSED IN SO YOU WILL NEED TO GO TO AUTOZONE AND BORROW A BALL JOINT PRESS. BY REMOVING THE SNAP RING THE JOINT WILL NOT JUST COME OUT. IF I WERE GOING TO CHANGE 1 JOINT I WOULD JUST CHANGE AT LEAST BOTH ON THAT SIDE. ME PERSONALLY I WOULD CHANGE ALL 4 WHILE YOU HAVE THE PRESS. YOU WILL BE TIME AND MONEY AHEAD IF YOU DO.IT IS A CHORE TO CHANGE THEM BUT WELL WORTH IT.

Does replacing the joints affect the alignment? NO

One more question...if it is a real chore to remove the steering knuckle, should I consider replacing the u-joint in the axle too? How hard it that? There are some clicking noises coming from the front end when the hubs are locked and the transfer case is in 2wd mode. I WOULD GO AHEAD AND CHANGE THE UJOINTS ALSO, YOU WILL HAVE THE AXLES REMOVED IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE BALL JOINTS SO JUST CHANGE THEM ALSO. NOT MUCH MORE MONEY SINCE YOU ALREADY HAVE IT APART. I WOULD GO AHEAD AND CHANGE THE SEALS IN IT TOO.

Thanks for your help from a 4wd newbie.

Welcome from Indiana too.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote