The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
b454rat

Wiring harnesses

I want to get a new wiring harness for my suburban and have a few questions. How much of a job is it to rewire a truck? Is there any good/better/best kits to get, from any particulur company?? I was thinking of getting one from E-Z Wiring. I can get a color coded harness for $165. What about the assessories, do I need to buy newer style or can I use what I have. I want to get this running and on the road this spring, and right now the wiring is the biggest nightmare.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:35 AM   #2
bpmcgee

I purchased a wiring harness for my 71 blazer from GMCPauls. It fit great, had all the right connectors, and looks great. The engine side took about 30 minutes to change and I can only assume that since your suburban is older it would be easier.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
littlee_domn8r
AKA "Hurricane Hank"

I put a painless wiring kit in my 63. I didn't think it was too bad, but then again, my buddy draino76 did most of the work Mine upgraded to blade style fuses, but used all the original style connectors everywhere else.

"They say hard work never killed anyone, But why take a chance?

63 GMC C10 Custom LWB 355/350 AT
00 Chevy Silverado 1500 base V6/AT
07 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 5.3 V8
littlee_domn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
draino76
FUJIMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlee_domn8r
I put a painless wiring kit in my 63. I didn't think it was too bad, but then again, my buddy draino76 did most of the work Mine upgraded to blade style fuses, but used all the original style connectors everywhere else.
I should sue for false advertising, there was nothing painless about that pos. I think I could have made my own harness easier lol. The first time sucks but after that they go in easy.

I dont mind confusion, I create it!

draino76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
ed455
Captain Ed

I did an EZ Wiring harness. Be aware that the EZ kit does away with most factory connectors. They are engineered primarily for street rods where original connectors are of no concern. It was of no concern to me either. It went well and the only probelm I had turned out to be my turn signal switch in my column. The labeled wiring made it certain that everything worked right the first time.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
apachetrucks

I have installed a couple harness's from GMC Pauls and it is a breeze. I like the original connectors and the option to buy only what you need or what you are working on like the underdash harness,engine compartment,etc. etc.Also you can use thier updated harness so later you can add things like tach or ac.The update also has the original connectors and you can get the underdash harness with the accessory fuse block attached. I might add,think thru what your final goal is and buy and install one time and get it over with. I made the mistake of trying to patch and make my own harness and ended up taking everything apart and starting over.
The biggest job is to get the connectors in the firewall grommets the correct way without ruining the grommet.Dont use a screwdriver to seat the connector in the grommet,use a blunt helper tool.I took an old Craftsman screwdriver and used a grinder to take the edge off it to make it nice and blunt.Use Vaseline to make both parts slick and take your time.
Hope this helps!!!!
apachetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote