The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
coltfan

Cab corner and other rust questions?

I am looking at a 63 chevy truck that needs a new passeneger cab corner. I know the corners are readily available, but what I need to know is how far up the commonly available replacements go. I am concerned I would have to go up quite a ways to find good metal. I want to know how tall the corner patches are. And also which ones are the tallest. I have looked online, but it is hard to tell.

I am not concerned about patching the floor, but the opposite end of things above the windshield has me concerned. It has 2-3 spots of roughly 4-6 inches of pretty good rust bubbles. What is the best way to fix them? I can probably remove the rust easy enough, but fixing what is left after the rust is gone is what I don't know about.
coltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
xextr3m3

my chevy duty cab corners are about 10 inches tall starting from the 90 ish degree bend at the bottom (where it bends in towards the frame.) on the door side of the cab. 11" over all including the flange at the bottom for the body seam.

87 toy: SAS 35" MT/R's, 5.29's, detroit rear, exocage
xextr3m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
coltfan

Thanks, I may have to buy 2 cab corners and take off the top of the second one. It may just be dents and surface rust near the top, but the problem goes all the way up to within a couple or three inches of the beltline trim. It is pretty thick with bondo, nearing a 1/4 inch up top. And of course where there is bondo, done wrong anyway, there is rust. Looking at it, I might be able to pull the dents at the top and fix the surface rust, but it would probably be easier to cut it all out and fix an extended cab corner patch.
coltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
apachetrucks

After you remove the upper bondo you proably want find any serious rust up that high unless the drip rail on the roof has been leaking pretty bad for a long time.I suggest removing all the bondo and see what you have to work with and see if its possible to straigten whats there, as you know the easy way out was to use bondo and sadly thats what you see a lot of times when with a little good body work it could have been avoided.The GMC Pauls cab corners will proably get you out of the rust and on to solid metal. I can email you a pic of one I am working on now that has the cab corners roughed in. Good luck and YOUR TRUCK LOOKS GREAT.
apachetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote