The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Putter
More Cowbell....

Anyone wired this up yet??

I am in the process of installing a new (new to me, anyway) V-8 in my truck. I am using a serpentine setup, with an internally regulated alt. I have read all the posts I can find on bypassing the external regulator and that all makes sense. BUT....in every post I can find, it tells you that you have to leave the wires connected that go to the idiot light in order for it to work properly.

I am going to be using all aftermarket gauges (AutoMeter Pro-Comp series) in my dash and doing away with the idiot light stuff.

So how do you wire up the internally regulated alt. to work with no idiot light and no factory gauge?

Surely someone has done this. Any information you can offer will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. (pics would be nice, also.)
Old 03-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
smbrouss70

You can order this wiring kit http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cs-130.shtml and you should read up on how it works here... http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...esensing.shtml

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

Anyone else? I read the links above, and it seems helpful, but can it be done without a store-bought kit?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
neonlarry

I assume you have a CS style alt? If so all you need is a resistor (35-75ohms 3watt)between an ignition switched source and the L terminal on the alt plug. This is the exciter wire. Do not put straight 12V to this it will burn out the exciter circuit in the alt. The S terminal is the voltage sensing wire. Those are the only hook-ups you need to the plug leave the other two terminals blank.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
1-PU70

If it a 2 wire one hers what you can do. Go to the junk yard and get the plug that goes in to the alt with some wire left. The heavy wire is your main charge wire and it ties into the heavy read wire that runs across the top of the rad. The other wire is your excite wire you conect it to a small bulb( I used a marker light) and tie it into a ignition hot wire under the dash. When the key is turned to the on position the exciter wire is grounded and the light will turn on. When the truck starts the exciter wire bcomes positive and the light will go out. Tryed to make it very simple hope it helps.
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Putter
More Cowbell....

NeonLarry,
Mine is the CS-130D (late model)