The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
DM310

My truck wont start

hey guys, as some of you know I just purchased a 63 c10 w/ a 292 3 on the tree. Well the truck has been sitting for the past 6+ years and I dont believe it has started since then. the guy i bought it off of said he tried starting it not that long ago but would not start b/c of the carb. Well I just rebuilt the car and did a full tune up. Installed a new battery then went to start it and nothing. It would not turn over. I have power at the ign switch and also 12 v on the starter sol wire at the ign sw when in the start position. I checked down at the starter and dont have voltage on either of the 2 wires at the start solinoid. Now my question is, is there a clutch solinoid or anything like that, that wont allow the car to start? If not then I guess I just have a open some where between the ign sw and the starter. Any help would be great. Thanks
DM310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
bpmcgee

DM,

I haven't studied the wiring diagram for the '63, but I know that on most chevy trucks, one of the starter posts serves as the distribution terminal for hot directly from the battery. Usually the positive post on the battery is wired directly to it. If you don't have power there, something's extremely bad.

If you DO have power there, you should be able to jump a wire from that to the positive side of the solenoid to get the starter to crank. That's just doing what a remote starter trigger does.

In answer to your question about a clutch interlock -- I know on the '60 and the '71 there isn't, so I can't imagine the '63 having it. If you have power in the "run" position but the solenoid isn't getting power, maybe you have a bad terminal on the ignition switch? You can check the wire by pulling it off the ignition and checking continuity from there to the solenoid.

Good luck,

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
60-66 Nut
Professional Beer Tester

DM310, Brian is right, there is no clutch saftey switch on these trucks. The yellow wire on the solenoid is the resistor by-pass wire, it sends a full 12V to the coil and points while turning the starter. The purple wire on the solenoid is the one from the ignition switch. Make sure that someone didn't swap the wires on the solenoid. The purple wire goes to the "S" terminal and the yellow wire goes on the "R" terminal. If the starter connections are tight and correct, check the harness plug where it goes through the firewall near the heater box. I've seen them get knocked loose. Hope that helps, let us know what you find.

60-66 Nut
65 C80 409 V8 5spd(X-Firetruck)
83 GMC 350 Olds Diesel
85 GMC Short Bed
86 GMC Short Bed
90 GMC R3500 Crew Cab
92 GMC 1500
60-66 Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #4
DM310

Thank you very much. I will check it out tonight when I get home
DM310 is offline   Reply With Quote