The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
CoryM

How do you keep your stock exhaust on the collector?

Hey guys, I am seriously getting sick of having to tighten my exhaust constantly. Factory setup, dual 2" exhaust. I run this truck pretty hard and the engine torque makes the pipes loosen up. The exhaust guys I have talked to say if you run them hard there is no way to stop it. I have tried double nuts, brass nuts, stove nuts and am using the best donuts. I am considering adding a cross-over tube just to help hold the 2 pipes together so they move with the engine a little better. Then maybe if I have to get some poly mounts. If that doesnt work, I might try some flex joints but they always rot out. Anyone successfully sealed up their truck?

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
dinnut

have you thought about having it all welded up?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
When I had my exhaust redone we got rid of the collector donuts and the muffler guy made some "metal" donuts to replace the fiber ones.
No leaks since.
Sorry no pic's though.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Build a set of exhaust hangers off of the transmission or trans mount. The OEM's have been doing this awhile. They put the first exhaust hanger off of the transmission rather than the frame. That way, the pipes tend to flex and rock along with the engine and trans rather that being tied to the frame which isn't flexing.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

This thread is just in time.I have the same problem with the pipes coming loose.Nothing seems to help either.I'm changing exhaust in a few days,so I'll try hanging it from trans.
Seems the standars trucks are worse than the automatic trucks too.I did notice the problem got better when I changed motormounts.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
4x4Poet

If the only problem is the nuts loosening, try Stage8 fasteners. What is the manifold collector stud size? 3/8 bolt x 16 thread? Anyway, Stage8 sold me the nuts with their clip on piece that will hit the pipe before allowing the nut to back off the studs in my Rams Horn manifolds.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:11 AM   #7
COBALT

I remember ole Stacy on Trucks showing a product on his show one time (usually I dismiss the products as wildly out of reach) that I thought was interesting.

They were these clamps that go around your collectors and essentially vice the thing together. It still used 3 bolts, but they were contained in a housing that provided uniform compression to the collector. Seemed like with the right bolts you could tighten those things down and they'd never leak.

I don't remember the vendor though...anyone remember what I'm talking about?
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:38 AM   #8
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnut
have you thought about having it all welded up?
Why would he weld exhaust pipe to stock, cast iron manifolds?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBALT
...They were these clamps that go around your collectors and essentially vice the thing together. It still used 3 bolts, but they were contained in a housing that provided uniform compression to the collector. Seemed like with the right bolts you could tighten those things down and they'd never leak....
Were those for headers? In his first post, the thread starter said he has the stock set-up, i.e. manifolds. I know what you're talking about as far as header collectors go. Don't remember a vendor, either.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #10
COBALT

Ah they may have been for headers....but I imagine if you could chase down the vendor they may have a setup for manifolds as well! It would be smart on their part if they really wanted to help a hot-rodder out.

Again, they work like a clamp. They fit over the collector junction and provide uniform force over the entire connection rather than three points. Damn, I wish I could remember the vendor's name....
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:39 PM   #11
RED71CHEVY

try these , they are what was used for copperhead i think

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ca...x-Coupler-Kits
'71 CUSTOM C-10 torch red ,350 roller GM crate,3.73 GEARS, REAR 4"DROP SPRING, FRONT 2.5" DROP SPINDLE-1.5"lower spring, FRONT=17x8(4.5bs) W/265-60-17, BACK=17x9.5 (5bs)W/285-60-17, Vintage Air Sure Fit AC------NEVER ENDING PROJECT!!
RED71CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 AM   #12
67 SS

I had the same problem a few years back.I had a new exhaust installed from the manifolds back and my passenger side pipe would work loose no matter how tight I cranked on it.I finally found out the donut was slowly shifting around due to a missing piece.Pull the pipes down and make sure there is something that will hold the donut in place.My driver side manifold had something to keep it in place but the passenger didn't.
67 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #13
CoryM

Thanks guys. I think for now I will try a cross-over tube and some locking fasteners (like what was posted). If that doesnt work I will get some headers. I know a lot of people think headers leak but I have always been able to get them sealed up. Either that or the rest of the car was loud enough to not hear.

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #14
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 SS
...I finally found out the donut was slowly shifting around due to a missing piece.Pull the pipes down and make sure there is something that will hold the donut in place.My driver side manifold had something to keep it in place but the passenger didn't.
Good call. When I removed my very original exhaust off my K10's 350 last December, I found a loose, ~5" tube of exhaust pipe within each exhaust pipe that connected to a Rams Horn collector. The tubes fit inside the donut and had a step down diameter halfway to keep them from falling into the exhaust pipe. Obviously, the tubes kept the donuts from collapsing inwards. No doubt, they contribute to keeping the exhaust pipes tight against the collectors.