The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
rmrtndl
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Another Bed Disassembly Question

I have completely disassembled my bed. I am in the process of removing 4 coats of paint, 4 coats of primer, and two thick applications of body filler. Surprisingly there is almost no rust under the bondo. The bondo was used to cover some dents and dings that were easily removed with a hammer and dolly.

Most of the rust is in the usual places.

The inner bed walls have a few small spots that have rusted thru. I was considering cutting out a few spots and welding in some replacement metal. At this point it occurred to me that I might want to seperate the inner and outer walls and seal the inside with an epoxy primer.

After looking at it for a while, I decided this would not be an easy task. Has anyone tried this.

Currently I am considering cutting out the inner wall leaving a lip around the edge. After striping and sealing the backside of the outer bed wall, I would then fabricate new inner bed walls and weld then back.

How have others solved the problem of rust thru on the inner bed walls?

Any thoughts, recommendations, or acusuations of insanity are welcome.

-Rick M.

72 GMC SWB Fleetside
25 Chevrolet Superior Series Truck
95 Mazda Miata
06 Dodge Charger RT

http://ram92.ods.org/blog.html
rmrtndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #2
purple gas

You are without a doubt totally insane. They say it takes one to know one, so my credentials are beyond reproach.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
flatblack67c-10

I would probably suggest using fiberglass to fill the rust holes. Either cut the rust out, or use a product to kill the rust, before applying the fiberglass. It would be much easier than seperating the panels.
was 67 chevy swb fleet now muticolored 69 step, 350/350, 3.73 posi, converted to 5 lug, torq thrust II 17x8 front 17x9.5 rear, factory air cab, fuel cell. future plans: shaved wiper cowl, shave stake pockets, phantom grille, and silver paint...
68 camaro ss396 project
54 f*rd project truck
flatblack67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Huck

Separating the panels would be a killer---you could cut out the inners and weld in good inners ---which in a long run would be easier. I'm assuming you are referring to a long bed panel. I would tend to look long and hard for another panel before doing this as it is a big job taking a lot of time. The problem is access ---can't get to the back side of the upper inner or outer to clean off the lose junk. You could try light sand blasting but it is probably too far gone for that. Might try sloshing some POR15 on a long handled paint brush up in there to stop the rust spread. Another key spot often missed is the overlap of the rear floor on the rear floor support. Must gets built up in there with no way out --often this is the first place to rust out on California trucks! So make sure you wash out this area real good then glop in some POR15 or some other kind of super sealer --hot TAR! etc. Good luck---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote