The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
muddpile

One Piece glass or not?

I am trying to decide between going one piece glass or not. I need a passenger window anyways (mines plexiglass siliconed in), so I was thinking about upgrading. What are the advantages to each? The way I see it, the one piece glass has less places to leak, but I've heard it tips in when you roll the window down. The factory setup has a nice look to it, but sometimes those little triangle windows can leak. My truck has no air, so the small windows providing ventilation is a bonus, but they're so noisy when open that the lowered interior temp is counteracted by a higher noise. Anyone got any more points to add? Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Jimmy72custom

I like the wind wing or vent window what ever you want to call it. I don't like one piece glass. I was sorry to see Chevy go with one piece glass in the late 80's or should I say back to, like pre 50. I like the way the wind wing deflects the air when you are running with the door window open. I also like to drive with my arm out the window, and my hand around the wind wing frame. My two cents.
I would have to say it is a matter of preference.
Jimmy72custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
69 Short Fleet

I think the vents add more detail and give it character, I remember reading one of the threads on here (forget the members name) that installed the one piece and it turned into major a headache for him (fittment problems).
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I like the clean smooth look of the one-piece glass. I can't tell you the final results yet but after installing one side last weekend I like it. There is no problem rolling it up and down. The truck is not on the road yet so I can't say how it will work long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpile
I am trying to decide between going one piece glass or not. I need a passenger window anyways (mines plexiglass siliconed in), so I was thinking about upgrading. What are the advantages to each? The way I see it, the one piece glass has less places to leak, but I've heard it tips in when you roll the window down. The factory setup has a nice look to it, but sometimes those little triangle windows can leak. My truck has no air, so the small windows providing ventilation is a bonus, but they're so noisy when open that the lowered interior temp is counteracted by a higher noise. Anyone got any more points to add? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
smokekiki
Mike

I think the newer trucks have more wind noise when the windows are down than our trucks.Don't know if it's the aerodynamics or not.The wingvent just looks right.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I remember a post where someone said that they had problems with the window frame being flimsy when the window is down. I can't tell ya for sure, but I do like how they look, especially in a custom truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
GreyHoundSteve

I have my one peice windows installed but my truck isnt on the road yet, heres what i can tell you. Its not a small task getting the one-peice kit installed but imo ITS WORTH IT. You can sit here all day and have the old timers tell you that "it aint stock and dont look right" and you can have the youngins tell ya that "it looks so much cleaner" and in the end its really up to you.

If You building a custom truck and updating it when possible then it seems like a no brainer to go with the one peice glass but if your keeping the truck mostly stock and trying to save money wherever possible then the old vent windows will do fine.

On my project i always knew that i wanted the one peice kit. I didnt have it in my budget though so i went ahead and had the original windows cleaned up and had all the tracks and assembly blasted and painted and i even bought new seals and had them installed and the next day when i went and looked at it me and my dad and a few other guys were standing there looking at it and we came to the unanamouse decision that it looked like i was cutting corners by installing the tired old windows in my "modernized" truck. That and it limited the mirror options i had because of the vent windows motion. I knew i was going to install ac (im in TX) so i didnt think i would get that much use out of the vent windows and i also knew i was going to insolate the cab as much as possible and in the end i just bit the bullet, ate romen for a week and bought the 1pc kit and im glad i did. My old windows had a greenish factory tint to them and my new ones came with the nice black tint i like.

In the end though .... its all about what you like and what you think looks good but i would say if its just a cost issue and you plan on doing the truck up the way you want it then spend the money ..... you wont regret it.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
Trifelynn

One thing I will say, is that it makes the truck more secure. The vent window is the easiest way to break into a car/truck. I don't have it done, but know quite a few people who have done it. I have a jeep, and I have a vent wing...my buddy has a newer blazer...'95(I think) and his blazer was sitting for quite a few months at his apartment complex....and he had about 2 grand worth of tools in the back. They broke into the blazer via the wing, and stole every cent worth of tools in the back.

I have yet to see a kit for blazers to go one piece. I have a '71 blazer and I would love to go one piece...If anyone knows of a kit, or how to do it, please fill me in.

Anyways, I agree...it all falls back on you, and what you like.

Lenny
Old 03-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Go with your "theme". If it's "This is a Beauiful Classic, I'll Stay True to the Original Lines" keep the wing vents. If it's "Man This is an Ugly Old POS, Where's My Sawz-all?" then delete them.

Take a moment and reflect on what motivated your purchase, did you like what you saw, or just like your saw?

I don't think anybody can answer this question but you.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I wish all vehicles still had vent windows. I HATE that they don't. I like the wind in my face and will resist turining A/C on until it gets to about 90. I crank the vent window all the way around so it puts wind right on me. So even if I was building my truck to a modern theme, I'd still have the vent windows. JMHO.

Pete
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #11
OLDROCK&ROLLER

I like um. No wind noise and no leaks. A little hard to install but wrought the effort IMO.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #12
72MARIO

I just got my kit installed this week. You need to have new or tight original window cranks and wheels. The only bad thing I can say is the fuzzie on the inside of the door goes straight and the door has a notch in to clear the old wing window. I wish I would have shaved that notch. I felt really bad cutting up my original vent windows so if yours are good find a junky set to cut up. It's a 2 person job putting the glass in thats for sure . I have no big problems with the kit. The passengers side window is kinda loose but I streched the setting tape to allow the window to set into the track without smacking it so hard. I am going to pull it out and get a new piece of tape and that should fix the looseness. I really like the look of the grey tint but I am going to have a glass shop cut a piece of grey tinted glass for the rear window. I would also advise to tape all around the door opening when installing the glass to prevent the chance of chipping the paint.
Good Luck
Attached Images

1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:41 AM   #13
4x4Poet

How interesting that no one has spoken to how the one-piece windows behave at speed with regards to rattling in the window channel when down part way.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #14
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

If it makes you feel any better I missed filling the notch on the inside of the door too . But, I did remember to fill the screw hole near the top of the door. I think I'm going to put a small screw on the front end of the fuzzies to hold them in place since the first clips are quite a ways back from that end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO
I just got my kit installed this week. You need to have new or tight original window cranks and wheels. The only bad thing I can say is the fuzzie on the inside of the door goes straight and the door has a notch in to clear the old wing window. I wish I would have shaved that notch. I felt really bad cutting up my original vent windows so if yours are good find a junky set to cut up. It's a 2 person job putting the glass in thats for sure . I have no big problems with the kit. The passengers side window is kinda loose but I streched the setting tape to allow the window to set into the track without smacking it so hard. I am going to pull it out and get a new piece of tape and that should fix the looseness. I really like the look of the grey tint but I am going to have a glass shop cut a piece of grey tinted glass for the rear window. I would also advise to tape all around the door opening when installing the glass to prevent the chance of chipping the paint.
Good Luck
Old 03-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
70 longbed

OLDROCK&ROLLER,

Not to hijack the thread, but what are those seats out of? Really nice looking.

Keith

70 CST longbed in progress. Hoping to get it back on the road soon.
70 longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #16
72MARIO

Mocwon,

I drilled a hole in the outside scraper and put a really small screw in. I forgot to mention that. It's a pretty easy fix and it does not take alot of thought. When I rolled the window down the scraper got pulled down with it. I did not have any problems with the inside fuzzie though.

Did you glue in the window guides into the track ? I think that really helps tighten the window in the track.
I shaved the old vent window hole on the inside but I never test fit the kit. I really wish I would have. That way I could have notice that notch It kinda p*sses me off. What did you do with the extra 2 holes on the top of the door ? I was planning on polishing 4 more bolts and epoxying them into the door frame.

4x4 Poet

Most of us have not driven our trucks yet so that's probibly why there has been nothing mentioned about window play when going down the road.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #17
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

No, I didn't glue anything on the installation. The glass fits nice and tight in the tracks so far. I welded up the other two holes in the top of the door when I was doing the rest of the body work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO
Mocwon,

I drilled a hole in the outside scraper and put a really small screw in. I forgot to mention that. It's a pretty easy fix and it does not take alot of thought. When I rolled the window down the scraper got pulled down with it. I did not have any problems with the inside fuzzie though.

Did you glue in the window guides into the track ? I think that really helps tighten the window in the track.
I shaved the old vent window hole on the inside but I never test fit the kit. I really wish I would have. That way I could have notice that notch It kinda p*sses me off. What did you do with the extra 2 holes on the top of the door ? I was planning on polishing 4 more bolts and epoxying them into the door frame.

4x4 Poet

Most of us have not driven our trucks yet so that's probibly why there has been nothing mentioned about window play when going down the road.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #18
OLDROCK&ROLLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 longbed
OLDROCK&ROLLER,

Not to hijack the thread, but what are those seats out of? Really nice looking.

Keith
Those are out of a 90-92 Chevy Lumina Z34. Thanks for Comment.

Kenneth
Old 03-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #19
muddpile

Those one piece windows look good, and I like the idea of anti-theft and no leaking, but it looks like there is an aweful lot of modification involved in making them fit properly.I'll have to research into it a little more. I am going a stock-ish custom style with my truck, so either would work.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:10 PM   #20
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNE
Go with your "theme". If it's "This is a Beauiful Classic, I'll Stay True to the Original Lines" keep the wing vents. If it's "Man This is an Ugly Old POS, Where's My Sawz-all?" then delete them.

Take a moment and reflect on what motivated your purchase, did you like what you saw, or just like your saw?

I don't think anybody can answer this question but you.

Love your responce...

And I love my Saw-zall....

These are on the "to do" list.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote