The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
89blacksub
army slave

need help

i had my sub looked at today at the shop and found out i need a whole new rearend and not just gears. i dont have enough for what the shops supplier was asking for the parts ( 800 ) and the few local places that i was able to find that had what i needed wanted 300. i just cant afford to spend that much so is there anyone out there willing to let a rearend go for cheap. this is what i need. 10 bolt, 3.73, posi, 6 lug. my burb is an 89 4x4. prefer it in texas. just let me know. thanks.
-steve

plans;
6 inch susp lift
36" tires on 15" rims
new all black paint
custom bumbers
misc engine mods until it goes, then drop in 454
nerf step bars
billet grill
89blacksub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
4x4k30

i wish i could help you but your best bet would be to find some 3/4 ton or 1ton running gear. the 10 bolt 373 rears are hard to find and when you do they are expensive . i see your plans include bigger tires and a 454 so dont worry about finding a small ten bolt start looking for some 3/4 ton or 1 ton stuff it will save you lots of money.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
89blacksub
army slave

see my problem is money. i am so limited on funds that it makes me sick. the shop cant do anything tricky with the stuff or it will cost me more in labor...lets put it this way; i have about 400 bucks in my pocket to secure the parts and have them istalled. does that tell you anything?? but i do plan on upgrading to one ton gear in a year or so. when my debt is gone.

plans;
6 inch susp lift
36" tires on 15" rims
new all black paint
custom bumbers
nerf step bars
billet grill
Old 03-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
4x4k30

i know where you are coming from. 400 wont get you far when paying it to someone else for labor. but i know if you keep your eye out you could find you a whole 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with axles and alot of other parts you could use for what you have to spend now . that is if you dont pay someone else to do the work for you . if you plan on keeping your 4x4 you will need to do what needs to be done to it yourself . its more fun that way.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
89blacksub
army slave

oh yeah trust me i would love to do it myself but i have one screwdriver, a half a car port, and no experiene at all. plus i live in military family housing and we arent even allowed to work on our cars in our own driveways. i just want the damn thing on the road again. im stuck driving my wifes flowery hawaiian mobile and its really starting to get to me. but like they say "all good things come to those who wait..." or something like that.

plans;
6 inch susp lift
36" tires on 15" rims
new all black paint
custom bumbers
nerf step bars
billet grill
Old 03-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
4x4k30

yea now i see what you are talking about. i didnt know it before . i have owned several 4x4s and have always done the work on them myself and had a place to do it. i think your best bet would to be to try and find another rear with any ratio and have it put under your sub. just to get it back on the road . the 373s are rare and exp. but you can find a reg differnt ratio like a 3;08 cheaper that would get you back on the road but you wouldnt be able to use the 4x4 because both the front and rear ratios need to match . try going to ck5.com alot of times there you can find people giving away 10 bolt rear axles and one may be in your area good luck
Old 03-05-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Bob Gervais
Truckless for the moment...

Another idea. On your base, do they have mechanics bays? My brother in law tells me all the time about how he works on his truck in those bays, with the military's tools. All you'd need then is someone to help you out. It's really not as hard as it looks, once you get into it. Everyone started somewhere.

Also, check on www.car-part.com for the axle.
1987 V1500 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, Flowtech dual exhaust, Rough Country 2" spring lift, 56" 3/4 ton rear spring conversion, 33" BFG All Terrains, and the smokescreen engine mod -- Former truck, searching for another now...
Bob Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
89blacksub
army slave

yeah its called Sprocket's here on Hood. they have lifts and air tools and its only like 2 bucks a day. but me and my friends dont have enough experience to know that we can have the truck done in one day. you have to have the vehicle out at the end of the day. other than that its a really good service they have.

plans;
6 inch susp lift
36" tires on 15" rims
new all black paint
custom bumbers
nerf step bars
billet grill
Old 03-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
Bob Gervais
Truckless for the moment...

You can have a rear axle done in one day without a problem, even with no experience:

-Remove two straps holding the u joint onto the pinion

-Detach the brake line

-Detach the e-brake cables

-Detach the shocks

-Support the body on a lift, and the axle with two floor jacks

-Loosen the u-bolt nuts holding the axle to the springs, then remove them.

-Lower the old axle out

-"Haynes manual style"- the installation is reverse of removal.

Now, you may run into other things that will break while doing this, so it's good to be prepared. Soak all the fasteners, brake line, etc. with penetrating oil (PB Blaster seems to work really well, available at Auto Zone). The nut on the steel brake line may be frozen to the tube, so make sure to spray the penetrant in there a few times. You can start doing this a few days before you're actually going to do the work, it'll make it easier to get all the crap off.

As mentioned before, the labor is going to be the deal killer here, when having someone else do the work. You already need a new rear end now, what's the worst that could possibly happen?

If you decide to do it, let me know. I'll help however I can, email, PM, or cell phone.
1987 V1500 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, Flowtech dual exhaust, Rough Country 2" spring lift, 56" 3/4 ton rear spring conversion, 33" BFG All Terrains, and the smokescreen engine mod -- Former truck, searching for another now...
Bob Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote