The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
optimus_primer

Looking for a definitive answer...

Hey all, I've done a couple of hours worth of searching the se forums, and still cannot find a definite yes to my question. So here goes, I have a '68 1/2 ton short bed. I want to know if spindles from a 1973 or newer will fit my control arms and steering components. In other words, can I keep everything on the front end a '68 except for the spindles ? Or will I have to change to 73+ up from spindle to steering box. I'm just looking for a somewhat inexpensive, uncomplicated way to go from 6 lug to 5 lug. Thanks in Advance.

Optimus_Primer
optimus_primer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
neonlarry

Need to replace the ball joints with 73's also need 73 outer tie rod ends and, rather expensive and hard to find, adaptor sleeves to connect inner and outer tie rods.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Use ALL '73-up components. The most cost effective route,... would be to have a parts truck. You are going to need all the disc brake stuff,... you could use the power steering box and all the tie rods and center link, etc, ... and you are going to have to switch the master cylinders and proportioning valve. Also you could change out the upper and lower "complete" control arms, to the newer "rubber bushed" style of the '73 -up trucks. I did this years ago with my old '69 Suburban. I bought a truck that was used to make a "pickup-bed trailer". It was a '76 with only 79k miles. I install new ball joints and outer tie rods,... but everything else had to be better than my million mile Suburban. Also the parts truck was only $100.00. (I guess I only got half a truck) Parts trucks are great, because you get all the extra nuts and bolts. I just rebuilt the front of my Blazer last year and had over $600.00 in parts. It's not hard when you have all the parts.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
69 longhorn

You can do that job with factory pcs, to save some cash. To save on confusion, you should source the parts all from the same truck. to add a little to what Larry posted, you can snag the center link, tierod assys, & the pitman arm from the later truck, along with the spindles. Swap the later balljoints into the stock a arms, (just go for the yr of the donor truck for balljoints & tierod assys) . You will have a minor issue on turning radius using the later spindles , with the early lower a arms(not a big problem tho). You may need to do a little grinding on the spindle stops to correct the problem. the later stering box will also swap in, if you are swapping to power steering. Best of luck, 69L
Old 03-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
lloyd k

you will have to use your original center link-the longer of the two-and your original (year)inner tie rods.use ball joints and outer tie rod for (year)spindle.steering will bind if you do not use the longer center link
lloyd k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
69 longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd k
you will have to use your original center link-the longer of the two-and your original (year)inner tie rods.use ball joints and outer tie rod for (year)spindle.steering will bind if you do not use the longer center link
I guess I didnt find that problem, I have stcok crossmember & upper a arms.....lower arms were swapped for 71/72 1/2 ton pcs.....spindles, tierods, center link, & balljoints are for the 75 donor truck that I parted. its got an 84 Burb (metric box), & been driven 10,000 mi since the swap..... I have not seen any bind up in the steering ? 69L
Old 03-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #7
lloyd k

my truck is a 67,i bought my truck with heated cowl springs and disk brakes,it would bind from time to time when making sharp turns,have since replaced springs and changed centerlink (with a 71 truck centerlink-i think,the longer one that i had found)im assuming i have 73-87 ball goints.i would measure the.i would measure centerlink and stering arm and make sure they are paralle to be save
Old 03-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
69 longhorn

Once again.....if you source ALL the parts fron the same truck, you should not have any problems using the factory pcs. on a truck that was purchased with parts already swapped(disc swap & heated springs), its hard to be certain what parts the last guy used . many guys just swap the complete crossmember in (arms spindles linkage & all)....the 73-up crossmember is the same as on the older trucks, EXCEPT for a couple brake hose brackets,& it bolts in with minor "egging" on a couple holes. if you mix the yrs on steer linkage, tierods, or ball joints......you will have a BIG headache I cant say this enough......source ALL the pcs from the same donor truck best of luck,69L
Old 03-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #9
lloyd k

i agree,i took me three different sets of tie rods and centerlinks to figure out what i had and what i needed to be right.trust me on the centerlink-there is no search feature right now,but this topic has been addressed before
Old 03-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
69 longhorn

there is not enough info on the center link (no dealer or parts house, & no Hollander info).....boneyard pc only, & most of those guys(that run the yards) cant tell you what swaps! the info i get is that the 71-72, is the same centerlink as the 73 up.....but there was a mix in the mess(size of piman arm hole on the manual vs power steering...also pitman arms ). The outer tierods have a different taper for the spindle on the 73 -up, & yes there are basically 3 different options on tierod assys ! This gets things confusing in a hurry! still, if you use All the steering linkage from 1(73-up) truck(Im talking spindles, balljoints, center link , tierod ends, tierod sleeves.....you might better also have the pitman arm)...... the stuff Does indeed bolt onto the older trucks.....trust me, I have done this swap I also run a cut coil drop on the front of my truck (1 full ring off the bottom), & have absolutely not had any issues with the steering . there are many ways to do that same job..... the one I suggest just uses all factory pcs. CrazyL on a side note, you can dig through FAQ for the info, but its been a while back. there was a load of info on disc brake swaps

Last edited by 69 longhorn; 03-13-2005 at 02:28 PM.
69 longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
optimus_primer

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I need to go donor huntin'

Thanks again.
optimus_primer is offline   Reply With Quote