The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2002, 06:12 PM   #1
bradshop

Post Transmission PARTS

Hello Everybody... I need some transmission parts and I was wondering if anybody knew of any good web sites that carried them.. I am looking for a speedometer gear and caseing for a turbo 350 transmission. I think I called the part right.... It is the piece that the odometer cable srew's into .. If you take it out, thier is a bolt holding a metal peice inplace so it will not turn. Then the assembly pops out to show the plastic gear. The reson I am hunting it, the plastic gear shaft is worn and leaking fluid anround it. I tried replacing the o ring around it but it still leaks.. Thanx for any help.. Brad
bradshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 06:30 PM   #2
JJR

Your local Chevy dealer will have one for under $10. I don't have the part number handy but I got on for my old S10 a year or so ago. It solved my leak. You can also get a new gear there also.
JJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The thing is called the gear housing. The dealer sells the gears for $7.00 The housing will cost about $15.00. At least for a 700R4.

If you need to calculate the speed use the calculator at this website. www.tciauto.com Check under the Transmission and Speedo gear links. The part numbers for the housing and the gears are availble at their site. There are two housing. You probably have the incorrect housing for the gear. The larger tooth gears have a larger diameter shaft than smaller toothed gears.

If there is not a dealer nearby try here http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
That site will give you the dealer cost.