The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

what can i do?

today I drove about 100 miles in my truck and 2.2 miles from home I turned the street corner and gave it gas to proceed and all the truck did was wind up the motor, I thought umm, maybe it slipped out of gear. No it did not slip out of gear. I put it down in low drive and it took me about a block farther. I got out of the truck and checked the tranny fluid, the fluid was a tiny bit below full mark, maybe a quart. a friend of mine drove me to the house to get 2 quarts of tranny fluid. I poured 1 quart in the tranny and it showed full. the truck starts and you can run the automatic shiffter threw the drive line locations and the linkage travels with each shift. the tranny filter had been changed about maybe 600 miles ago and the fluid looks good. i cant smell any burnt oil smell and it dont run out of the tranny. the truck does not roll by pushing it when its in park but all the other gears you can push it all over the place.
what the heck is going on with this tranny?. when I put it in drive andgive it gas the drive shaft does not turn, so I'm sure its something with the tranny.
please help. this is my daily drive and only transpertation I have. and I got to get it back on the road. WHAT DO I DO?

72 SWB Fleetside freshly painted. putting a 94 LT1 with
700R4 tranny lowered 4 in the front 6 in the back

81 chevy half ton 350

89 Silverado 4x4 going ta church truck
tphsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
dwaite72lnghrn

1 Quart is a lot of fluid for a tranny. It sounds like the valve body got junk (Varnish) in it not allowing it to shift. When you changed the fluid was it burnt then? It might just need to be flushed out.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Only other thing I can think of aside from what Dave mentioned is maybe the torque converter went bad. (just guessing).
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

6 months ago when I put a new filter in the tranny, by the way the tranny is a 350 from an 1981 c10 the oil looked dirty a bit but was not burnt. please keep throwing ideas for me to check out on this darn thing

81 chevy half ton 350

Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

where and what is the valve body.. and also could this problem be from the vacuum module or something relaated??? please keep giving me info for i can figure out how to get this back on the road

81 chevy half ton 350

Old 03-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
lngbed71
Nothing fits but the oil

With the truck running at idle, and the trans in either "P" or "D", let it idle and listen for a muffled "clacking" or a faint "clicking" sound from under the truck. My truck did that and I found out it was the torque converter. I changed that puppy and was on my way. Don't know if that is what is wrong with your truck, sounds familiar though. Mine wouldn't go anywhere when it happened. My truck also had a heluva lot of miles too. My .02, hope this helps you out.

Because of the brave
lngbed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #7
dwaite72lnghrn

The valve body is what is behind the pan when you drop it. It has springs, Balls, and a few valves. When you put the trans in gear it forces fluid through the valve body when the pressure builds the force of the springs are overcome and the fluid now flows a different direction. If dirt gets in the valve body and blocks the balls/valves the fluid won't flow correctly and give you movement. Vacuum effects upshifting but should not effect going into gear. When a trans is older and has not been maintained correctly varnish builds up in the passages. The new fluid and the heat from a long trip can break large strips of this varnish and blockup the valve body.
Did you have any pulsing before it died?
I would drop the pan and check the filter and see if it has any junk in it.
A rubber mallet to the side of the trans, don't bend the oil pan, and see what happens.
drop the insection plate on the flex-plate and make sure the torque convert is still attached.
I am tapped out maybe somebody else can assist.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

these sound like good leads. but first I would loosen one of the trans cooler lines with engine idling in park. there should be fluid under about 25 to 35 psi. if no or very little fluid pressure then the pump is not working. it could be either the flexplate, torque converter, or the pump it self. if you do have good pressure then go after the valve body.
one other idea. with rear tires off the ground & engine off with trans in neutral try to turn the driveshaft by hand. it should go freely one way but have some resistance the other way.(checking for catastrophic mechanical failure)
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:52 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

tranny no go

I hope this is your problem but you didn't say if you had a 4x4 so I'm guessing. read the whole thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=145360

VetteVet

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:44 AM   #10
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

ya know, while this episode is happening, when the truck right now sits running in the drive not going anywhere, there is a fine whine noise, at first I was thinking well maybe because the altenator or maybe the power steering pump,, Duhh, MAYBE THE TORQUE CONVERTER????? guys I dont know yet what it is but. how does one know if ya have a bad torque converter? , please if you all are thinking something, please send it my way for I can resolve my missoury and hunt for bunny eggs instead of hunting ghosts this weekend.

81 chevy half ton 350