The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
iluvmy72

A deal for someone wanting a good PC

I have a non drivable 72 GMC LB in California that I would like to have here in Utah. It will have to be towed or carried. If anyone can do this, there is a free computer tower in it for you. It's a awesome system that I built personally. And it's yours if you bring me my baby.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Sooner1970_K10
1970 K10, 350, 4spd!

I would think you would atleast give the specs on the computer? You could be talking about a $ 200.00 tower or a $ 2000.00 tower.
Sooner1970_K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

Or perhaps a few photos?!?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #4
iluvmy72

It is an Athlon XP 3000 system with 1 Gig of DDR RAM, Gigabyte 77NNXP Motherboard which runs around 200.00 by itself. It has a 60 Gig Hard drive with 7200 RPM's. It has a HP CD Burner and a Sony DVD Rom. The case has a 350 watt power supply and has tons of expansion and even has fans on the hard drive bays. It is blue with a clear side. The video card is a AGP 128 MB Geforce 4 4600 Ultra (4200 chipset quatro card). It's a engineers PC really. Awesome for gaming. It has a built in gigabit LAn and standard 10/100 and 6 channel sound(5.1 comparable). This is a deal for the person who runs a transport business to where it's no big deal and he gets something out of it. I just might sell the PC and use the moeny to pay someone to get it here but I thought I might offer someone on here a cool deal. I can sell the thing for at least 1200. It really is loaded.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Are you sure the motherboard is a 77NNXP? I think it's the GA-7NNXP

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-21-2005 at 07:35 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

I would almost be interested in this job. I am heading to LA in May and I could come back through Utah. But I might also stop over at junkyardjohn's place in Nevada and take a look at a panel he has.
Mike

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
iluvmy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Are you sure the motherboard is a 77NNXP? I think it's the GA-7NNXP

you are correct sir....sounds like you know your PC parts. Gigabyte and Asus are my favs.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Heh, you just picked two of the companies that use some of the worst capacitors. Hell, Asus has a class action lawsuit against them right now for exploding capacitors (the ones around the CPU socket) if I remember correctly. I mean, leaky caps have been a problem for a while, but ... hehehehe

I know opinions aren't worth much, but I gotta rant :: Asus sucks ass. Bunch of bandwagon jumping idiots keep it popular these days and, because people don't bother to recommend or - *gasp* - step out on a limb and try other quality brands like MSI and Abit, they perpetuate this bandwagoning trend. This trend is most likely due to their popularity from back in the day - the hardcore enthusiasts back then (when computer building wasn't so easy) continue to cane those boards as being "the best on the market" - these are the people that don't use anything other than Asus and probably never will. They never experiment and whatnot. Worse, they are totally are averted to change (Which most people are), so the chances of them seeing what other quality hardware is out there is basically moot.

Put simply, Asus was *THE* board to have 4-5 years ago and even prior to that. Asus was good back in the day - you know, when Cirrus, AMD and Intel were your chip choices? Now they basically push out garbage and sell their motherboards with what should be considered an alpha revision of BIOS flashed to it and hurt anyone who decides they want to build a rig with bleeding edge hardware.

It's pretty sad.

I'm a system builder (if my heavy opinion didn't already reflect that ). I typically build at least a dozen rigs per month for friends and family. I've also been running a help desk and tech support area in a popular gaming forum for the past 4 years. Over half of the hardware problems that come through are related to Asus and their "quality" hardware. It's at the point where I won't even buy their hardware anymore. If memory compatibility wasn't so bad with their hardware, I might actually give them a chance more regularly (I do break down once a year or so and try something new they put out just to see if things have improved on their end).

As for Gigabyte...pfft, don't get me started. Wanna read about a nightmare with them? I hope you never have anything fail on their boards.

This was one of my bad Gigabyte experiences, it's a funny, informative read:

http://bbs.myunreal.com/thread.php?id=9629

And, uh....here's what one of the guys up in South Caroline posted about at the forum last february, it always makes me laugh...gigabyte, anyone? Hrm...Exploding caps...Asus has a class action lawsuit against them for this same problem...
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

Oh - and don't get me wrong - I'm trying to say you're an idiot because you like Asus. I'm trying to say that there are a bunch of old-timers out there who can't get out of the past and use something other than Asus and won't recommend it - and they really hurt the industry and promote laziness on the part of Asus.

I'm also not saying the 7NNXP isn't a good motherboard - I'm sure it is - but, as with any custom built system, you should crack open the side of the case and check the large 1000+ microfarad caps around the CPU for swelling, bulging or leaking at and around the tops. Any abnormalities should constitute RMA'ing the motherboard to the manufacturer. If you don't know what swollen or bulging caps look like, notice the plus mark on the two vertical cylinders to the right of the exploded one above. Notice how the plus mark on top is NOT straight - it's bulging. The top of that thing should be as flat as can be. Any rising or bloating of that plus mark is a VERY bad sign.

If your data is as important as mine, something like that is a SERIOUS problem. An exploding capacitor can destroy all of the hardware in your box.

Last edited by shifty; 03-22-2005 at 02:18 PM. Reason: My post above sounded like I was badmouthing someone, but I'm not trying to.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
iluvmy72

Easy there man.....I have found Abit to be the worst and just barely a step above PC-Chips......Asus and Gigabyte have great warranty. Three years......I build just as many as you and more because that's what I do for my job. Gigabyte makes a fine board but I would never buy one without the DPS module. It takes the issue of exploding caps away because it's a controlled flow of power that is filtered to the MB. And that pic of a board you are showing is the voltage regulator area. Most of the time(88-96%) those fry when there is a spike in power or huge fluctuation in current. Either caused by cheap power supply or PC is pluged into a cheap powerstrip which is 80% of the nation and most of them need replacing. Don't be comparing Gigabyte to Abit.....that's a lost cause when the top makes are compared side by side. MSI is a ok brand as well. I dig them on some things. But they are overpriced on some things. The capacitor issue I think you are talking about is the one that they said 80% of the capacitors that were made in China over the last 2 years can be faulty. This was put out by Abit claiming that they had issues and so they went to Japan made capacitors. BUt the claim turned out to be false in most cases. Only a small few had issues in their design. And most had been fixed. Both my Gigabyte systems have never had any issues. My Asus systems have also been great as long as I had purchased the good chipset withthem and stayed clear of the SIS and Via chipsets. Those tend to have the cheaper componants on them and are a more budget MB. Abit has been laggin in the arena for some time. They finally came out with their dual channel MB. That has been around for years and they never did it. They have never spent their money in areas of design and features to get people to purchase them over another brand. PC Chips sell more than they do. I also like AOpen as well. They too are above Abit in my opinion. And I wish I can show you pics of what Abit boards have done in the past......I had one with all14 capcitors blown on the board as well as the charcoal processor.

Last edited by iluvmy72; 03-22-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

I won't argue on Abit - they're just as guilty as Asus about releasing their hardware with poor BIOS revs.

I will argue about Gigabyte - a warranty is worthless if you hafta fight for 6 months to get the board refurb'd...

The cap issue is in regards to all of the Taiwanese crap that several manufacturers (Abit is the only company to formally admit to doing it) have been using. The end result you see in the pic I posted (note the two rightmost caps; clearly bloated, the left is defalted, the volt reg fire - good call, btw - caused the bottom to blow out of the left one, hence the explosion). IIRC, some competing companies copied a leaked electrolytic fluid recipe being used inside some experimental caps another company had been manufacturing, then produced these caps in wide-scale. This lent to the problem. I think there is more info at like ... www.badcaps.net ...

VIA chipsets....omg, don't even get me started!

I actually hear Abit is going under soon. Not sure about the validity of that claim.

Right now, i'm sticking to MSI and ePox for most of the non-server rigs I'm building.

as for Abit - I think you are mistaken about dual-channel systems; I've had the Abit NV7-133R for three years or more now and it's a dual channel system. I believe my KR7-A RAID is also dual channel. I don't think they were advertising it as such back then.

Beats the hell out of Asus with their 3-stick dual channel solution

Anyway - I can't possibly expect you to agree with me, but, hey, whatever. I would love to see that pic of the Abit board though...if you've got it handy.

TIA

Last edited by shifty; 03-22-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:39 PM   #12
pritch

Hey-

I live in Northern Utah and I will be in Bakersfield for family reunion in early June. I'm not really interested in another computer (the one I got drives me nuts enough) but if you wanted to do something crazy like rent a u-haul car carrier or something, and buy the gas, I could drive it here. That would keep me from having to make the return trip in the wife's Suzuki (don't tell her I said that)

Where in Utah are you? I'm between SLC and the Wyoming line on I-80
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #13
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Well,
Asus Works fine for me...

A7N8XE - Dlx Rev. 2
XP Mobile 2600+ @ 215 x 12.5 (2688 MHz) I'm sure I don't have to tell you how fast that is.....
SI-97 HS w/ Antec 90 mm fan (42 CFm)
PDP Patriot Extreme Performance w/ XBL (512x2) Dual channel @ 2-2-2-5
XFX 6600GT @ 591/1.19

BOOO YAH!!!

Yeah, I would say ASUS did me good...

Jason
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

7dos build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610290

Last edited by chevjayfsd; 03-23-2005 at 01:17 AM.
chevjayfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:19 AM   #14
shifty
Questionable

the A7N8* series actually isn't too bad. It's one of the only ones I would use in a rig.

Nice choice on the mobile CPU; much less heat more room to OC.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:26 AM   #15
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Yeah, I was plannin on OCing from the beginning, and I really didn't want to spend alot of money on a 939 Socket Mobo + Processor and i would never buy Intel.... So naturally the Mobile XP was the way to go... I didn't think I would be able to push it that far on air, but at 44 idle and 49 load, I was very happy...

Jason
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

7dos build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610290
chevjayfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:31 AM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Intel chips were really nice until they came out with the Prescott core. The P4a, P4b and P4c chips were great, ran a lot cooler than any of my AMD rigs in the house. Very OC'able using only the stock P4 HSF combo. If you took time to sand and lap the bottom of the stock pentium HSF combo to a mirror image and used a good thermal paste, you could significantly OC your cpu and run at what would be a stock temp for the comparable AthlonXP chips on the market.

I'm waiting for Intel to wake up and come out strong into the 64-bit market before I think about touching their stuff again.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #17
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
...This was one of my bad Gigabyte experiences...
er...what motherboard was that, that you were using? I have Gigabyte's GA-7VAX, and although I was aware of the whole exploding capacitor issue with different manufacturers, I wasn't aware that Gigabyte was one of them. I'll definetly be watching from now on though
Old 03-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #18
iluvmy72

Shifty.....Intel has already come out with their 64 bit Processor for 4 weeks now. Some people are confused by it because they did not charge an arm and a leg like everyone thought. AMD is angry becasue they had to drop their prices. Intel really did drop a bomb on them.

Last edited by iluvmy72; 03-23-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #19
guyryan100

you guys are seriously hijacking the man's thread. Can we critique pc boards in general discussion forum?
guyryan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

lol, yeah, that's fine, guyryan. I looked at it more as "bumping his thread to the top", but, I'll say one last thing and try to shut up

iluvmy72: I know they're out, but there are practically no good options for motherboards out for them right now, so I wouldn't say they're "Strong in the 64-bit market" by and means. Coming out at lower prices is a great way to drop a bomb on any competitor and incredibly smart on the marketing strategy - with product cycles @ 2-3 months for PC hardware, they'll only take mild losses in the first quarter of product life. If they maintain the price, if history is any indicator, prices should level out. I think you'll see they won't be dropping prices much in the next 6 months though.

Joe: That wasn't my motherboard - it belonged to a friend and it ... EEK ... it was a GA-7VAX. :\

Last edited by shifty; 03-23-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #21
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyryan100
you guys are seriously hijacking the man's thread. Can we critique pc boards in general discussion forum?
You are correct sir, SORRY iluvmy72.

and thanks for the reply Shifty - I will be watching my motherboard closely now!!!

Last edited by JoetheMobster; 03-24-2005 at 12:58 PM.
JoetheMobster is offline   Reply With Quote