The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
ScottH

Trans question

Looking at a 1980 K20 dually with 350/350 combo. Haven't seen it yet other than pics. Owner says good except needs brakes (no big deal). The only item that bothers me is he says trans shifts fine going thru gears, however you must manually down shift it when going down hills, etc. due to shift kit installed?? Also he thinks the trans came from a 69 Chevelle originally??

Can a 2wd car 350 be converted/used in a 4wd truck? Any suggestions as to what to look for or check out? Also any transfer/4wd items recommended to check out?

I have no knowledge of 4wd trucks so any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
crosby

Hi Scott. Are you sure it's a K20? That should be a 3/4 ton truck, which did not have dual rear wheels (to my knowledge). Even worse, a 350/350 combo doesn't sound right either. I suppose you could use a 2wd 350 (tranny) but you'd need to change the output cone, and possibly other parts. Manually shifting down going down hills? That sounds pretty normal to me. Usually, a truck or car will want the higher gear under less load, going downhill. Post some pics for everyone, okay? Good luck, I am sure someone with more information will post a reply shortly.
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
ScottH

Crosby, thanks for your input. Here is a link to the truck -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

VIN number appears to be correct.

Any options would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
bloertcher

It's probably been fooled with a bit,not always bad as long as the perpetrater knows what hes doing.The down shift thing sounds like a misadjusted kickdown cable(or even unhooked),as far as using a rwd 350 case,thats actually very common.All you have to do is swap in the 4wd tailshaft and remove the tail cone completely,thats what mounts to the transfer case adapter.However,be advised that a rwd case is much weaker in the bellhouse area than a 4wd case.This is due to the dustcover.For a rwd,it is tin or even plastic.On a 4wd case,it's cast aluminum.Usually not a problem,but it it's abused,it can cause the tranny case to break.It's certainly not a deal breaker if the trucks a buy,just inspect that area of the trans carefully.
bloertcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
bigarmzz

i clicked on the link

looks like ya got a decent truck

i'd say the kickdown cable is unhooked or needs adjusted