The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
67chevemall

How to get the turn signal switch out!

How does one take apart the coloum to get the turn signal lever off
and a new switch?? The turn lever has Crusie on it, and I want to put
on one with out cruise?
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
beaterC10

You need to remove the wheel and lock plate to get down to the signal lever. On the older columns there is a screw that holds the lever in place on the turn signal switch. I forget exactly how the newer columns retain the lever, but I know you have to also pull the wheel and lock plate.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
87_Blazer
Getcha' Pull!!!

i attempted this the other day trying to switch mine as well. Mine has cruise as well; but no screw to hold the lever in.(1987) I can just pull my lever and it will pop out; but the wire for the c/c is still connected. I got the wheel and the lockplate off and took out the 4 screws that hold the cancelling cam in and I pulled the cam out very carefully because there are lotsa wires connected to that bad boy. Well thats as far as I got before I got frustrated and quit and threw her back together. Maybe I will try again tomorrow since I have the day off!!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Blazer
i attempted this the other day trying to switch mine as well. Mine has cruise as well; but no screw to hold the lever in.(1987) I can just pull my lever and it will pop out; but the wire for the c/c is still connected. I got the wheel and the lockplate off and took out the 4 screws that hold the cancelling cam in and I pulled the cam out very carefully because there are lotsa wires connected to that bad boy. Well thats as far as I got before I got frustrated and quit and threw her back together. Maybe I will try again tomorrow since I have the day off!!
On the '87, do what you did before. After you pull the cam loose, look about 3/4 of the way down the column. There is a black wire with, I believe, a flat orange connector about 1/4 inch wide. If you pop that connector loose, you can thread the black wire up through the column. Tie a piece of string to it to it before you pull it through if you need to fish another wire back in. Tie the string to the new wire, and use it to fish the new wire back down the column.

It isn't as hard as it sounds...

Slonaker