The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
krazy_texan

time for a proper resto

since my engine has decided to go south on me right before i am getting ready to leave for boot camp i have decided i am going to over the next few years i am going to give my truck the proper restoration that she deserves and this time she is going to get a 396 and a gmc front clip like she is supposed to have and i am going to massage all her dents out and patch what few holes she has, i plan on this taking several years and i am going to put a flatbed back on her like she had when i bought her, now i just have to fight with the time restraints and being someone of my age in the navy i really dont think i am going to have much time to giver her the attention she deserves
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
CHEVYE
my gas saver

i hear ya man, i'm thinkin of cashing all of my parts in and buying a completed truck. i work 50 hours a week and go to school for 16 hours a week, i'm never gonna get done with it. how much farther south can your engine go? mexico.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Maybe I missed something here. I heard about the engine, and I heard about you joining the military, but I had no idea you joined the Navy. Congrats!! I'm an old salty that was in aviation maintenance (aviation hydraulics).

I hope you got an 'A' school to give you specialized training in your selected job choice. Boot camp back in 1989 was a simple and easy. More of a mind game as they tried to break you down as a civilian and make a sailor out of you (I spent more time in classes, than on the 'grinder' getting physical punishment).

You sure will enjoy the pay check every 1st and 15th, and not have to spend it on food, cloths, rent, etc.

If you got an 'A' school, you'll spend the time in the states in a class room from 7-4 (hour lunch). If you graduate in the top 5%, you may have the choice to pick your 1st duty station (the 1st choices in my class were all conus [continential US duty stations]). That means you are on the USS Never Sail, stationed here in the US!! That should give you plenty of time to bring your truck to the base and fix it up in their on base auto repair facility. All you do is pay a low monthly rent for a storage space, and get to rent a shop space and tools to do just about any repair imaginable. (I bought cars, pulled engines, parted out vehicles, and repaired anything I drove.) Mind you, I drove to the beach and partied every day while on shore duty.

Just don't forget, If you do bad in school, you'll go the the ship, and might not see land for 9 months out of a year. Those sea days will come, but actually, I had more fun, gained better friends, and saw more of the world at sea, than most people have done in a lifetime.

Congrats again for the wise decision to join the finest Naval force in the history of mankind!!
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
East End K5

yeah, listen to him! Just tuck your truck away in the backyard or so, put a cover on it, and FORGET about it. Before you know it your 8 weeks of boot will be over, and then you'll go to tech school. Once you get out of there get it running and get it to your base/station etc....once you get it there...you'll have opportunities galore at the auto skills centers....

[B]1972 Chevrolet K5 Blazer RIP
1986 GMC Sierra K3500 1TON, Long Box, V8350 RIP
1980 Chevy Silverado C30 Cab and Chassis, 454 TH400HD. RIP
[B] 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 2D [B]
East End K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
I'm an old salty that was in aviation maintenance (aviation hydraulics).
Same with my dad. He primarily worked on P3's and E2's. We were stationed in Jacksonville, DFW and Miramar in his last 10-15 years. I didn't personally serve (Dad said it wasn't a good thing for a person like me to be in the service...not sure if that was a compliment or an insult, but he meant it, so I listened )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
You sure will enjoy the pay check every 1st and 15th, and not have to spend it on food, cloths, rent, etc.
Good words to heed - eat at the mess hall. Live on base or in base housing. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Invest it with the credit union. Don't blow your enlistment money up front, tuck it away, you'll be glad you did.

It's also a kickass way to travel later on. If you really want to broaden your view of the world (most people in the US should, because they don't have a damned clue about what goes on outside their borders and it makes them stupid, rightous, dogmatic idiots most of the time - travelling overseas with an open mind is a real eye-opener - just don't focus on how different things are ... like the times the stores close, how everything can be closed on sunday, etc... it will make it less enjoyable if you do!!).

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-25-2005 at 02:05 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #6
dtlilly
Account Suspended

These last few posts had a lot of wise words to them.

I wish I had a board like this to give me the ups and downs before I joined, hell, I reinlisted just to keep myself out of debt!! If I did everything all over again... I'd be a rich man... and still had a lot of stories of woman I slept with.

Last edited by dtlilly; 03-25-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Actually - that's another thing I forgot to mention.

WATCH OUT FOR FLOOZIES AND GOLD DIGGERS in yourfirst year or two...actually, for a while.

Example: Pensacola, FL is notorious for producing girls that will hop on your johnson in a heartbeat when she finds out you're military. A lot of those girls see your uniform and they're not seeing love, they're seeing a way to get the hell out of Pensacola and/or out of poverty. Don't let them fool you; some of them are real tricksters and will do anything to have you get them preggers. After all - what could be better...If you get a girl preggers, her kid gets free medical, a stable household, stable income, and gets to travel around the US if you get stationed elsewhere...

So, not only should you watch your money ... but be smart and, if you can't keep it in your pants, make sure it stays wrapped. It's better for your health and your future.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Same with my dad. He primarily worked on P3's and E2's. Good words to heed - eat at the mess hall. Live on base or in base housing. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Invest it with the credit union.

If you really want to broaden your view of the world (most people in the US should, because they don't have a damned clue about what goes on outside their borders...
I worked on F-14 fighter jets. At sea, we would love to see the P-3's coming in... that meant mail!!!

Texan... you will get a whole new perspective on the world once you have traveled it. Broaden your view of the world is just the the start of it. You will see how the rest of the world views the U.S. Politics takes a new road!!

Eat all the free food you can, and keep your @ss in the barracks! Trust me, there are plenty of parties on base to keep you busy.... and in trouble
Old 03-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
East End K5

On base living is nice and cheap! Chow hall, BX/PX, Class 6! I worked on T-38's, F-4G's, F-111D/F's C-9A's and now HC-130, HH-60....

[B]1972 Chevrolet K5 Blazer RIP
1986 GMC Sierra K3500 1TON, Long Box, V8350 RIP
1980 Chevy Silverado C30 Cab and Chassis, 454 TH400HD. RIP
[B] 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 2D [B]
East End K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
krazy_texan

well i have already seen my share of the world as my dads job took us to south korea and from there i have traveled to other places, some that i would love to go back to like tokyo if i could ever get enough money. i did not join to see the world i joined because after scholarship money gave out i had no money to go to school and i was really tired of living paycheck to paycheck on a good week, i did some research and decided that i wanted to become a Navy Seabee plus i plan to knock out as much school as i can while in the service and save as much money as i can not sure what i am going to do with it but i would like to buy some land somewhere or something like that. thanks for the input guys look forward to leaving
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote