The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Zonaman

Ultiamte Kill switch? Check it out.

A keypad accessed kill switch. Any of you guys tried this one ? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

DEI has a similar product too. Never messed with one though. I think it;s cool but it might be a little to much since it easly to over ride an alarm if you know what your doing.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis
DEI has a similar product too. Never messed with one though. I think it;s cool but it might be a little to much since it easly to over ride an alarm if you know what your doing.
Thought I might hide the keypad in the ashtray under a dirty kleenex.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
Alexis
Member since 2000

best you can do really is protect your wiring. I'm going to be putting a plate under my dash with lock on each end. So my wires are covered from unwanted hands. Also locking up your hood helps.

DEI also sells a siren with a built in battery so if they think they're smart for disconnecting your battery they can think again. The siren is a pain in the ass to shut off especially if it is in a hard to reach spot. You can olny turn it off by the alarm remote or a key. Other then that you got to break it or dunk it in water.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
Dean23
68cst_ss490

Looks cool as long as you dont forget your code.... now one would just need a good place to hide it.
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
nu2-72

Used to have a keypad kill in my Corvette. Never again for me. The wiring was undersized and burned up. Shorted two wires together and the car started itself. I was about 50 feet away headed into school when I heard a car start and knew I was the only car in the area. I always parked away from other cars. Freaked me out. No fire but the ignition was useless. Drove home, popped the hood, removed the breather and threw a towel over the carb killing the engine.
Had to rewire under the dash.
Also found out that many thieves used a screwdriver to punch the battery. Once the acid drained out there was not enough fluid to carry voltage and the alarm was useless. The aftermarket started selling steel boxes that sit in the battery tray and contain the battery to prevent punching.
Don't really know the right answer. Just my experiences. And if they want it, they will get it.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #7
69 Short Fleet

Nu2-72, yes thats VERY scarey... I was at a Porsche dealership (in the shop, had like 16 bays) back in the early 80's and saw a 930 Turbo with no interior as the owner installed his own alarm to save a couple bucks and completely fried his interior, leather guts VDO gauges and all.... the Porsche techs were completely rebuiding it. Since then I always research and triple check all my elec. work and If I feel uncomfortable with it I'll bring it to someone that has more experiance than me. Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
shifty
Questionable

This product...I have comments.

Doesn't stop someone from towing your truck or alert you if that happens.

If theif gets under the hood, quite often they don't need to worry about something you hid under the dash.

If they look under the dash and know wire colors, they can track the relay this thing uses and override and/or just swap the wire from 187 -> 187b (or hwatever) and it's worthless.

It doesn't make noise like an alarm would.

So ... cool idea, bad in practice IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2-72
Also found out that many thieves used a screwdriver to punch the battery. Once the acid drained out there was not enough fluid to carry voltage and the alarm was useless. The aftermarket started selling steel boxes that sit in the battery tray and contain the battery to prevent punching.
Another common method for lots of cars is taking a long drill bit and a cordless drill. Makes less noise. If you know where a battery is mounted in a car, you can either break the headlight and drill thru the battery or just drill through the fender of the car and into the battery to drain it.

People don't care. If they want it, they'll get it

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:48 AM   #9
dmec

anyone ever thought of using flasher button as a kill switch?
dmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

WHEN I HAD MY BABY "BIG BIRD" A FEW YEARS BACK I WAS RUNNING
A "DEI" ALARM W/ THE KEYPAD SET-UP, THE THING WAS SO BAD A$$
THAT EVERYTIME I HAD MY CAR WORKED ON I HAD TO STAY WITH
THE CAR BECAUSE EVEN W/ A LIL INSTRUCTION TO THE MECHANICS
THEY STILL SEAMED TO SET IT OFF - OF COURSE THE REASON I
PAID $800 4 MY CAR ALARM IN 1995 WAS I HAD OVER 10K IN TUNES

HERE'S A PIC OF BIG BIRD FOR YA
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500