The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My Tank Turn

I didn't feel like sanding and doing work on the stepbed yesterday, so I decided to mount the blazer tank on the 70. I was lucky since mine has the side mounted spare, I didn't have to worry about about cutting out the spare tire cross bracket. My tank is not an aftermarket, but out of a 72 blazer. Only reason I mention that is it seems to ahve some different shapes on the top of the tank. I had lost (or hid them real well) the mounting j-bolts, so I picked up a 3/8" threaded rod and cut four 7" lengths from it. I used a compression lock nut for the top and tack welded the nut on just to make me feel better about it. The longer bolts made working with the straps easier and I cut 3-4" off once it was installed

A couple of notes in case your a dumb@-- like me. Preshape the metal straps before you start. They don't form on their own very well. Also remember to but in your rubber or islolation material between the tank and the frame before you tighten down the bolts. I don't know what others used, but I had an old firewall wire trough that I cut in half and slid in.

I took the last shot to give you an idea how it hangs. From the bottom of the frame to bottom of tank is just under 8". Mine is not a lowered truck nor will be so I fell I have plenty of clearance. At stock height, the tansk sits just about even with the top of the axle. You can see in the forth picture the modification to the rear bed brace to clear the tank. I don't anticipate it being a problem, but I have some extrat braces I may run just forward of the tank If I think it is going to creat a problem.

Last note, if you are going to do this, do it before you pay for a nice exhaust. As you can see from the second picture, it is REAL close between my factory exhaust and the tank. I'm not worried as I'll be running a new exhaust later than exits to the side in from of the wheels.

Well I guess it's back to the bed so I can get it on and fab up the filler pipe for the new tank.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 03-27-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Gary Lee
fixer of 72 GMC LWB

Lookin Good!!!
Gary Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Looks good Bill!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
GMan69

Lookin' real good, Bill. RE: fuel filler, Putter is also doing the side marker fuel door and has fabbed some of it already. He'll probably see this thread and give you some helpful hints.
'72 GMC swb Stepside
GMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
Putter
More Cowbell....

Man, that looks great. I am also doing that tank intall (but with an aftermarket tank). I read all the posts in the FAQ about welding expanders and such to the tank filler, but instead, I went to a local supplier of industrial hoses and bought the correct size hose (approved for oils and fuels) that will slip onto the stock-sized filler at the tank and will flex really well up towards the filler location. I then took the S-10 filler (as the FAQ mentions) and cut it a little short and welded a reducer to that to get it down to match the new hose (got the reducer at local Advance Auto) That allowed me to do all my welding at the counter top. I was able to get a really good look at the welds and make sure there were no pin holes in there (I pressure tested the welds, too). I bought the Perma-Cap local also. All that is remaining is to weld up a 'box' to hold the filler in place behind the marker lense. I am going to weld it to the fender since it isn't painted yet, then bolt the filler to the new 'box' using the factory screws.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Joe67
67 is sold

Nice work

When you guys install these tanks, do they go in 100% level to the world?
I installed my fuelcellguy tank and it runs down a little toward the back, away from the pickup?

I'm assuming it should be at least level or run towards the pickup if anything?

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
Johnny05

The one I installed sits at about the same place. I measured 6.5" from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the tank. Just looking from the rear you can see just over the axle tubes on the rear end. Just in case I also put air shocks in the rear to keep things level for whenever I have to pull my trailer.
As far as how level it is.. just looking at it and from my measurements it seems to be level.. then again I haven't actually put a level on it to verify this..
Johnny05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Putter I have all the factory 72 blazer filler stuff, so I shouldn't need a reducer. I think I have enough hose for whatever I go with in the end.

Johnny05 - Mine will probably sit lower once the bed is on, so the 6.5 inch sounds about right. I don't plan on HD hauling with mine (mostly just haul my @--) so I don't see a claeacnr issue yet. If I do, I may go the air shock route too.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
72 Cheyenne402

Looks real good. I have been wanting to install a rear mount tank but my truck is lowered 4" in the rear and 2-1/2" in the front. I'm afraid of having clearence issues.
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #11
Putter
More Cowbell....

That is even better. I bought a filler from a suburban for mine, but ended up not using it, so I could go with the Perma-Cap.