The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: what should i do?
primer parts and assemble everything so i can roll it behind the shop and tarp it for later. 8 61.54%
do the same as #1 but sell it 3 23.08%
part it out 1 7.69%
other suggestion? 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Clancy68

tuff choices.

so what should i do guys? heres my situation ive got an 84 k5 that needs to be gone through, and in the process for not much more money im going to do axle upgrades, 4" lift. this is one of my primary vehicles and i use it quite a bit. its no longer my DD though. i have a 64 nova waiting for me to finish the blazer. this is going to get the 390 h.p. 406 that i built, and a th-400 that i also already have built.i originally got into all of this to go fast, and a nova is going to do that better than the c-10
By the time those two are done, im gonna need to move out to continue my school. i really want to build the c-10 in my profile, but i want to stay realistic here. its gonna be a while before i could really get back at it.

--Scott
Clancy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
Portmod7

Sounds like you got too many projects

Build that c-10, it looks like its gonna be one cool ride. Then you got something to look good in, go fairly fast in, and you can even throw parts for the other two cars in the back and haul em home. JMO
Portmod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:37 AM   #3
69 Short Fleet

Hmmm... I sorta went through this a few years ago. I was building 2 trucks (one was my 69 and the other was a S-15 shortbox (dd)) 2 complete frame off motorcycle restos and doing the service/brakes/& whatever on my mom's car. It finally came to a breaking point when I went to the auto-parts store and came home with all the parts I needed to do the front brakes on the S-10. I got the parts home pulled the first wheel off and realized I did them the month before!(banghead) I sold the S-15 and one of the bikes and now have most of my sanity back...... still $broke$ though! (lol) Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
Clancy68

i would like to do the truck before the blazer, but the reality is, the blazer is both an enclosed 4x4 utility vehicle, and not nearly torn down to the extent that the truck is. the problem that i don't want to have is being another one of those guys who has a some day but never gonna happen project sitting around. i don't know what the future holds for me as far as how soon there will be a place for me to do this stuff, and the money to do it right. has anyone put thier project away for a few years and sucessfully gotten back to it and seen it through completion?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:52 AM   #5
69 Short Fleet

The 69 took @ 8 years and its now on the road (was apart for most of that time), and my bike has been almost 21 years and its getting real close (@ 2 grand left in parts and some powdercoating).... I basically just kept buying new parts and started "stockpiling them" (I don't recommend this approach). I think you just have to be somewhat stubborn and yet realistic at the same time. If it were me I'd sell the 85 blazer (as their not very rare and) and get a little butter wagon like a Chevy splint (10000 miles to the gallon), and then stick to AND finish the truck or the car first (I'd do the truck cause its more practical, hauling stuff ect.) I think your better off with doing one at a time and when you do get one done..... your for sure in "happy land" regards Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Clancy68

seems like at this point the general thought it to at least keep the truck. the blazer is used for camping and 4x4 toy mostly. but it also is used for trips to the snow and occational trailer duty. its pretty tuff to beat at what it does. as far as mileage and daily driving i have a 98 tdi jetta that gets 51 mpg. pretty tuff to beat that as a DD. the nova is a go fast toythats going to require a lot less work/$$ to get going versus the truck, and at the end of the day it will be faster. so the issue really has been what do i want to do with the truck. i still want to build it. but was looking for input whether its a realistic goal or not to stuff it away for later.
thanks guys

--Scott

Last edited by Clancy68; 03-24-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
jalste

My opinion is one a a time, if the blazer is running just keep up maintenance stick to the one that requires less time to finish and DO IT!!! start keeping a notebook with what you will need for the truck so if you see a bargain buy it. Keep working and with a little time you will see results.
jalste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
Clancy68

good call on the note book. i think im gonna do that for all of my projects. i jot down quick lists from time to time in class when im not paying attention, but i always end up forgetting when i get to the swap/store/junk yard. thanks again guys. the truck is staying.

--scott
Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Make sure you use a good epoxy based primer. At, least that is what the paint guys told me since mine would be sitting a while before it sees paint. They said it would hold up to the moisture better than some of the other primers. Another option, instead of primer, if it is going to be a long while, maybe you ought think about something like Eastwood's Rust encapsulator stuff to protect a bit more until you can get back and finish it. DON'T get rid of it. You'll hate yourself later.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote