The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Brake noise help?

Hey guys!

My 89 has had a nasty rubbing noise while driving it since I bought it. I took the wheel off to check the brakes and found that they had plenty of material left on them.

The rotors were quite heavily surface rusted where the pads don't run, and actually quite hot to the touch (after driving home from school during my spare). I spun the rotor, and it didn't seem to wobble, so I don't think it is badly warped. The sound is coming from the inside brake pad, I think it is constantly rubbing the rotor. The truck also grabs / jerks quite bad when you go to stop as well as pulling to the right constantly while driving. Is there some way that a guy can adjust the caliper to bring that rear pad off the rotor?

Also, when I take corners, my driver's side wheel has a little bit of a rub / squeak. It makes no noise otherwise. I took it's wheel off as well, and all looked good.

Last edited by Russell; 04-05-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
sb400

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably need a complete brake job. You can't adjust the calipers, one is probably hung up.

If it were my truck and had any doubt about the brakes, I would replace the calipers, rotors, and pads as a set. The good news is that brake parts don't get much cheaper than full size Chevy stuff, last time I did it I paid about $15 for each rebuilt caliper, $12 for a set of cheap pads, and about $35 for each rotor, a couple bucks for new grease seals and a bottle of brake fluid. These are US$ prices, whatever that converts to in CDN$ these days. Of course most of the parts I buy say "Made in Canada" anyway!

Not sure what the rubbing/squeaking noise is, but I suppose one possible culprit could be a wheel bearing. These could also be replaced when replacing the rotors since you will have them out. With the truck jacked up under the axle or control arm, can you rock the wheel side to side, in and out, or top to bottom?
sb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

I'll see what I can do with it. The truck stops no problems (locks em up quite easily actually) but I too don't like skimping on brakes...
Old 04-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
jermasaurus

If it is constantly rubbing, then you most likely have a siezed caliper. Does is smell bad by the wheel after driving a while?
If this is the case, either the piston is siezed in the caliper, or the slides that the caliper bolts go through are siezed.

Take the caliper off and see if you can move the two slides back and forth.
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

How's the surface of the rotors and brake pads? I'd also check the condition of the brake calipers. If everything checks out, clean the parts and apply some brake caliper grease on all moving parts (metal-to-metal contact points).

The noise may be a bad wheel bearing. If your rotors check out, replace the bearings.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
JAFO

Could be a bad brake hose. You can't tell from the outside, but they go bad on the inside and hold pressure on the caliper. Also, rebuild or buy reman calipers. Cheap and easy. Also, get new rotors and have them turned, and replace the bearings while the rotors are off.

Last edited by JAFO; 04-06-2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spell check
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Mine was doing the same thing. I installed new rubber brake hoses for the front and new calipers, pads where pretty new also. It cleared up the pulling, brake pedal is up better than it was before, doesn't squeak hardly at all and it stops much better too.

May want to also check out the front suspension for excessive wear.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

like jafo said you could have a bad hose and if youre goin for new pads rotors and calipers whats another few bucks for hoses?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote