The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
GreyHoundSteve

rear wheel offset issues, advice needed

Well it looks like i messed up big time here. I finally got around to mounting my rims today and the rear is WAY OFF. I have boss 311 rims, the front are 20x8.5 with +10 mm offset and 5 1/8 bsm. They look almost perfect with the 2.5" drop spindels and 1.5" drop springs but the rear is another story.

The rear rims are 22x9.5 with +12 mm offset and 5.682 bsm. The rear of my truck has 6" drop springs and the rear wheels were so far tucked in that i had to remove the fenderwells just to get them on and they are sucked in WAY TOO FAR. My truck is a 67 and i have heard that they have a narrower rear end but i am at least 3 inches from where i need to be on each side. What are my options here?

Has anyone ever used adaptors or am i asking for trouble? Are my only options getting new rims or a wider rearend? If i opt for a new rearend does someone know one they could recomend that might be the length i need?

Any help is appreciated.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
SCOTI

Billet adapters will work fine for your application. How did you manage to get so far off on your measurements? I know I suggested using a wheel that you know fits & adding/subtracting width to get your back spacing numbers. Did you do this or try something different?

Do an internet search for 'billet wheel adapters' for dimensions & pricing. They range from 1-4" wide.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
cableguy0

adapters and spacers are like signing a death warrant. they put all the weight and force on the wheel studs instead of on the hub where it belongs. unless you want to destroy your truck when the studs all break off DONT use spacers they arent safe and should be outlawed. your choice is to get wheels that fit correctly
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
GreyHoundSteve

Scoti, i used the meaurements from TX firefighters 72 with 17's and thought i was cutting it close but i was way off. I knew the backspacing has going to be a slight issue but never accounted for the offset.

Are adaptors and spacers the same thing?

I thought adaptors had a new set of studs? I have heard horror stories about spacers but wasnt sure if that was the same thing or not?
Old 04-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

Hey Greyhound, the rear end on your truck is alot narrower than the 71-72 like TX firefighters. If you choose to put in a later model (71-72) rear, it will bolt-up but you will need to re-drill you axles for the six lug pattern.

I know from your posts about air bags, that you are extremely worried about safety. I would stay away from adapters and or spacers. You would probably spend less money and sleep better going over to the later model rearend.

Just my $.02......Good luck
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
ratrod67

Is it possible to send the wheels back or did you already mount the tires?

If you decide to use a set of adapters be sure and get a quality set. I ran a set from Vette Brakes for about 3 years on a daily driver and never had an issue with them. You get what you pay for. The cheapy ones on Ebay are junk. Don't even attempt to use them. I personally wouldn't mess with the spacers either. A good set of adapters will be fine. They will bolt to your hubs and will have another set of lugnuts to mount your wheels.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

spacers and adapters are both asking for trouble. They add too much leverage and will end up breaking the studs eventually.
In some states, they are both out lawed..and i agree with cableguy0, they should be outlawed everywhere.
The late 70 - 72 rear ends are only 3/8 inch differance per side (or is it total?) Either way, it isn't going to help you in this situation.
Either a non stock rear, (ford 9 inch if you are going for mege power would be nice) or new rims are really the only two good options you have.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Purs
Got Big Block?

I suggest going to www.wheeladapters.com and do some reading to educate yourself on adapters. Then call and talk to Fred, the owner and ask what they will hold up to. I bought a set for the 6 lug wheels I have now and have had no problems. Pricey yes, but what is your safety worth?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

My bad, I didn't realize the length difference was that minimal.
Whatever you do Greyhound, keep it safe.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
Ratpowerd67

last time i measured, the 71 72 rears are almost 2" longer??
Ratpowerd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
cornutz
All Praise RANDY!!

Yeah, I am pretty sure it is just a hair over 3/4" per side....if you go to the 71-72 rear end.

Not sure if that is enough for what you are dealing with, but it would get you closer.

NutZ
cornutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0
adapters and spacers are like signing a death warrant. they put all the weight and force on the wheel studs instead of on the hub where it belongs. unless you want to destroy your truck when the studs all break off DONT use spacers they arent safe and should be outlawed. your choice is to get wheels that fit correctly
I'm sorry, but I feel something needs to be said because from my research, this is an incorrect statement. I know people have different opinions, both pro & con, about spacing wheels, so for the record, I'm not saying you don't know what your talking about.

Adapters physically bolt to the hub & then have their own set of studs that the wheel bolts to.Typically made of billet alumimum, they are as strong as cast hubs & factory studs. The effect of using adapters is like having a wider track width from a thicker hub.

Spacers physically space the wheel farther from the hub & use the existing studs (which usually require longer replacements). Typically made of cast aluminum or flat steel stock, they stress the wheel bearings, studs, & hub assembly when used in excess thickness (more than 1/4").

Are billet adapters optimum? No.
Are they high risk? Absolutely not.
Are spacers optimum? No.
Are they high risk? Yes.

I would be concerned possibly if excessive spacing were required for the front. But, for the rear adapters will work fine & not put your loved ones @ risk. GHS, I know I said it before in one of my PM's . . ..... always measure your own vehicle for critical items. I'm sure you & Tx thought everything would work fine & then after spending your hard earned dollar......DOH!!!!

I would do the adapters & then later if the option presents itself, use a wider rear to eliminate the need for spacing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:42 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the adapters still locate the wheel further out from the wheel bearings causing undue stress and side loads.
Why do you think PA made them Illegal?

If you decide to buy either spacer or adapter, look into local laws...esp since you'll probably get the more expensive ones.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #14
GreyHoundSteve

Thanks for your help guys. My initial measurements were off because the trac bar wasnt positioned correctly and neither was the bed. After getting everything where it is supposed to be i realized that i am only 1.5" off on each side in the rear for optimal spacing. I am going to look around for a wider rearend and see if i can find one at a good price. I kind of hate having to do that since my rear had brand new 4:10 gears and new drums but the upside is i can hopefully find a posi with disks. If i cant find something i can afford then i'll do more checking into the adapters mentioned above. Safety is a huge issue with me because i couldnt forgive myself if i neglagently injured my wife, daughter or another driver so i'll only proceed with this option if i feel it is absolutely safe to do so. Thanks again for your help guys and if anyone knows the exact measurements of an early 67 rearend i'd apprecite posting it here.