The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Old Air Products VS Vintage Air AND Best Price?

Well guys/gals, summer is definatly on it's way and at least in Texas we are all going to want A/C if it is at all possible. I was wanting to hear opinions and experiences about both companies. I was also wondering who has the best prices, boad vendors obviously welcomed to post. I'm really not looking for anything related to origional so anything that is newer or more "high tech" is a plus for me.

If a vendor doesn't mind posting a price or PMing me, I am looking for the most up to date kit to go in my truck which is a '68 non A/C cab and a compressor that will either bolt on my LS1 motor or a kit with-out a compressor using lines that will bolt up to the LS1 style A/C compressor.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

One of the latest TruckTV copperhead videos covers two of the Vintage Air kits into a truck. They seem to be the kit of preference amongst a lot of the rodders.

I have a link to a great step by step article with pictures on how to install Vintage air's kit.

If either of these are of interest to you, let me know. I can probably chop the 5 minutes of the TruckTV show for you and pass it along if you want to watch it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #3
1STtimePRo'71

I say vintage air.

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
One of the latest TruckTV copperhead videos covers two of the Vintage Air kits into a truck. They seem to be the kit of preference amongst a lot of the rodders.

I have a link to a great step by step article with pictures on how to install Vintage air's kit.

If either of these are of interest to you, let me know. I can probably chop the 5 minutes of the TruckTV show for you and pass it along if you want to watch it.

I'd love to see the video if you can. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #5
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STtimePRo'71
I say vintage air.

Any reason?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:00 AM   #6
1STtimePRo'71

My old man put an OLD Air system in his Shelby, it only made it 2 years. Then he went with Vintage Air, and so far so good. I think it's been5 years now. I guess we'll see if it holds up. I think Vintage Air systems are more expensive though. But dont quote me on that.

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:29 AM   #7
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

they are the same price. What exactly went out on the Old Air kit? Compressor? Or other stuff?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:38 AM   #8
Johnny05

I bought an Old Air 134a underdash kit for my '72 but haven't put it in yet. I went with this system after talking to a few people and seeing both the Vintage Air and Old Air systems installed in '67-'72 GM trucks. They both seem to have "quirks" but for the price and overall install of the system I decided on the Old Air.
Johnny05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
MOTHERTRUCKERS

My vote is Classic Auto Air they are the most efficient system out there.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
GreyHoundSteve

Old air is right here in Ft. Worth 1stgen so if your on the fence that might be a factor to consider, especially since you will probably need special brackets and what not for your late model motor. My motor isnt bearly as new as your but when i told them that i had the long water pump and that my alt was on the opposite side as stock they really started adding to the price of the normal kits and didnt seem real confident that they could even get me everything i needed for the right install so having the dist close by might be a plus vs having to order the things your missing. Just a thought.

p.s. last year arouns October there were a ton of threads about this same topic and allot of people chimed in with thier exp and it seemed like both companies had about equal plusses and problems.
GreyHoundSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

[QUOTE=shifty]

Hey shifty, Do you have that link? I would also like to check it out.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #12
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGen
I'd love to see the video if you can. Thanks!
You have a PM with the link to the video.

Here is a full install on how to use the Classic Auto Air kit that motruckers is talking about for our trucks :

http://www.classictrucksweb.com/tech...air/index.html

I was confused - I thought I had an install guide for Vintage, but I see it's really for Classic. The copperhead video snippet I PM'ed the link for gives you info on what you'll need to know about Vintage Air to make your choice.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
Mike Culpepper
Red

Can't say anything bad about old air or classic, but I love my Vintage air. I have had it in for over a year and it does a good job here in Texas (Houston and now Llano). There is also a couple of posts in the FAQ section on Old Air install and a post on differences between VA and O.A.

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
You have a PM with the link to the video.

Here is a full install on how to use the Classic Auto Air kit that motruckers is talking about for our trucks :

http://www.classictrucksweb.com/tech...air/index.html

I was confused - I thought I had an install guide for Vintage, but I see it's really for Classic. The copperhead video snippet I PM'ed the link for gives you info on what you'll need to know about Vintage Air to make your choice.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
Mike Culpepper
Red

That is a helpful website. After looking at that instal. guide it looks like there are alot of similarities between that unit and my VA unit. My cab is an A/C cab so I didn't have to do any cutting. The firewall blockoff plate is similar, as are the heater hoses/suction &discharge lines and their placement. I couldn't tell from the pics about how much glovebox space you loose. You loose a fair amount of glovebox space with the VA unit.

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:48 PM   #16
meathead95
computer illiterate

i am awaiting my old air kit as i type this it is supposed to be here the 18th. I hope it all goes well