The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
muddpile

6x9's in kick panels?

Has anyone ever tried it? I measured tonight, and I can fit a pair in my kicks standing on end. All I'd have to do is tweak the E-brake (or leave it, it doesn't work anyways) and relocate my dimmer (it's too close to the kick IMO anyways) so both changes are really for the better. I've seen pics of where guys have mounted Sony 6x9's and such in the kicks of 60-66's, but never on a 67-72. I would like to keep it stealth, but dual 4" in the dash just aren't going to get the job done, and I figure if I'm going to do this kick panel thing, I might as well do it right. I could also bite the bullet and just buy a pair of 6.5" components, but that is too normal and I like to be a bit different when it comes to stereo installations. Plus I'm going with a 70's theme in my truck, and what was more 70's than 6x9's? They will likely be Alpine Type S, JL Audio TR or MB Quart Discus. They will be run off 50 watts per side from an Alpine amp. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
jtminton
II Timothy 4:2

Are you going to build up some kickpanels that are deep enough for the speakers, or try to cut them into the metal? Is there that kind of clearance back there?

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

"Dangit, Bobby, people will see that oil stain and think I'm a drunk."
jtminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
lilred67

if the cab is in real good shape i wouldn't cut out the kick panels, i'm going to build some boxes to put under the seat to keep from cutting my cab/doors up!just my 2 cents
lilred67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
70short

What would be more original than building your own set of speaker pods? Remove the E-Brake relocate the dimmer switch and build some pods.

Gary
Weiand Stealth Intake
HEI
shorty Headers
4/2 Drop
295 50R 15 TOYO on 10 inch wide corvette rally rims at all 4 corners.
"CHEVY RULES"
70short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
69 Short Fleet

Where you thinking of actually removing some metal from the kick panel as jtminton mentioned? One thing you shd. consider is having some sort of baffle to protect the back of the speaker, I would think you could build something out of fibreglass. You might want to choose a speaker with a smaller magnet & basket(but yet still have great sq). The Infinity 6x9's (if memory serves) have a HUGE basket & magnet, however there a great speaker from what I've read. I was thinking of building a double 6.5" glass pod for each kick, but I'm gonna wait till I get the speakers and I'll get a better idea from there. Keep us posted if you decide to do this.
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Here is my plan, and you may like it.I'll cut my doors for speakers (once I find doors worth cuttin) and then...I'll get teh aftermarket carpet set that goes on the lower door. On the back side of the carpet, I will poke some holes in the tight woven material to let sound escape a little easier. This way, there are NO speakers visible, yet you get the sound you are looking for.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
muddpile

I will not be cutting my kicks, but rather building fibreglass kick panels that mount right over the original kicks with a whole lot of velcro or some sort of adhesive. The 6x9's I am considering are not too terribly beefy and should not stick out more than 2"-3". I like the added cone area of a 6x9 vs. 6.5" driver, plus the fact that most 6x9's are 3 way, and provide a little bit better midrange response in comparison to the 6.5" components. I may not do this, but it is a thought, and a 6x9 up front in the kicks just seems like such a good idea to me that I can't ignore it. The only concern I have is that there may not be enough airspace down there to get good bass out of them and I will have to run a hidden pipe to another added volume of airspace under the dash, but I won't worry about that until I figure out if I'm going to do this or not.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote