The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2002, 06:23 AM   #1
kurts72

Post Smoking ignition switch...scary situation

yesterday I was driving my truck in the middle of nowhere on the interstate in IN at night when I smelled smoke. Smoke was bellowing from under the dash. I shut the truck off and looked underneath at the ingition switch (try doing that on a new truck!) and one of the wires was melted on the switch. I pulled the wire off the switch and then the truck wouldn't turn over. I then touched the wire onto the switch to start the truck then and once running, I pulled the wire off and it kept running.
With the wire off it was ok, no smoking/melting. SCARY. I made it home. I'm assuming the switch is defective after all these years. Maybe the starter should also be replaced which is causing shorting out... Anyone ever had this happen to them? Can one still order ignition switches for these? Thanks, Kurt
Old 04-14-2002, 06:41 AM   #2
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

might be something in the starter solenoid, but i bet it is the switch, pull it apart and check it out. as for the switch, you should be able to get one at any parts store, I just got one at autozone for less than $15.

------------------
72 LWB Fleetside C10 Custom 350/350
97 GMC Yukon 4X4 SLT
Anna, Texas
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 07:12 AM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Cool

Check the connector for the switch. I just did this a week or so ago. The current running through there after 30+ years make them britle.I had no smoke but the truck would just cut off. I pulled it off and the connector had fried and the wires were no longer connecting. Put new spade connectors on and no more problems.

------------------
Andy
71's Are for ever!!! or 67,68,69,70,72

www.geocities.com/chevy71tpi/main.html]

www.picturetrail.com/Andy4639]

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
Radical Cam

I had this happen to my ignition switch about a month ago I went to start it and it smoked and then the starter stayed engaged when the truck started I shut it off and pulled out the ignition switch and the then pulled it apart and the contacts inside where all black and burnt. I guess that this just happened from getting old so I went to a parts yard and got another ignition switch then I just switched over the contacts from the ignition switch so that I could still use my same key instead of getting a new one. Hope this helps.

Cam
Radical Cam is offline   Reply With Quote