The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
wingman

How much money to repair rust?

Between the new engine, trans, tires, radiator, etc. I have over 5 grand into my truck not counting the intial price. It runs and drives great now the only problem is that a lot of the stuff under the trucked is rusted. I didnt know rocker boxes existed until i saw pics here. It is going to need new rockers, rocker boxes, passenger floor, and probably windshield frame repair. The outside of the body isnt bad. I am jsut wondering how much it usally costs to do all that, the problem is i dont have a welder and a good sawzall, so that would be extra cost too. Just looking for a ball park how much time and money it usally costs to do all that ( i guess it involves pulling the whole body off etc ). I am just worried that I am in over my head and I am already low on cash as a broke college student, and if I descided to sell it how much of that money could i get back out of it. Thanks for your time people.

Last edited by wingman; 04-18-2005 at 07:26 PM.
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Probably your best bet is sto buy a welder and learn to weld. Some vo-tech schools do body work (or at least they used to) for fairly cheap, but it takes them a long time and you'll have students working on your vehicle so you may not get the desired end result.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
bpmcgee

Wingman,

In my search, I found that most body shops aren't interested in doing rust repair -- they want to do accident damage only. Therefore, if you find a place, it will be pretty expensive.

I got lucky and found someone who's really capable and enjoys the work!

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
pound41

You would be suprised how many good welders you can fined who have their own trucks and will come to you. I know a couple of friends who did chop top mercs they prefabbed everything and a welder came to them. I am in the process of doing the floor and rocker boxes without the benefit of a garage. The way I am doing is. I do have the proper tools and some welding skills. My time is limited each time I work. So I have a flanger which is and air tool that makes a 1/2 inch flange on metal. I am cutting out the metal and flanging it. I am screwing the pieces in place with just enough selftapping screws to hold it. Its like a jigsaw puzzle. I will get it all together then In one day either get a welder to come or do it myself. Using the flange lines as where the metal will meet. Disassemble cut the flange lines and weld it back. I have done a few trucks this way because of time and it allowed me to adjust my fits and work with them. I am not skilled enough to measure once and cut once. You can do it
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
28buick

You will never find a body shop to repair the rust on these trucks and if you did you couldn't afford it. Buy a name brand mig welder with gas and in no time you will be able to weld sheet metal. When I started redoing my 72 I couldn't get anyone to touch it. Bought a 115 volt miller, a grinder for surface prep and a decent jig saw for cutting sheet metal. I practiced for a week then replaced floors, rockers, fixed doors, tailgate, firewall repairs and replaced my windsheild frame. Total cost for parts and welder under 2 grand. When your done with the truck you still have the welder and tools. Don't be afraid to try.
28buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
wingman

On the topic of a welder ive been looking at them but i cant descide between the licoln135, lincoln 135+, or the hobart handler 140, or the clarke 130en. They all look good and pretty close is specs, should i just go with the cheapest one or what?
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote