The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
cgrossl

72 Cheyenne and Odd Tranny Option?

I posted this same question in the 67-72 Surburban board, which is the wrong board so here it is in the correct board.

I just got back from looking at a 72 Chevy Cheyenne, LWB, 2WD. I know it is hard to price a truck without seeing it, but I just wanted to bounce this off of some other people before buying it. The asking price is $4500 and he will take $4000 for it. There is no rust on it except for a few bubbles in the paint. Rockers and cab corners are very solid, I checked them with a magnet. Paint is pretty good, but it is a few years old and isn't perfect. I would call this truck a 10 footer. Body is real straight, doors open and shut real good, chrome trimi is all there and is in good shape, interior is black with decent carpet, good seat upholstrey, good headliner and decent door panels. Dash pad is cracked in a couple of places. Everything works. It drives perfect. It has power steering, power disc brakes, 350 engine with 4bbl, automatic tranny, posi rear end, and a cargo light (appears to be original?). I have been around old vehicles for a long time and this is a good one. I don't know a whole lot of specific info pertaining to this era of trucks, that is why I am asking you guys. But, based on a little bit of research that I have done and my own personal experience, I think that this is a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?

One other thing. This truck has two headlight dimmer switches in the floor board. I asked the owner about this and he said that the top one was an overdrive, or lockup converter, or something that reduces highway cruise RPM. He said that while you are going down the road, you just hit it and you will hear the RPM drop. The weird thing was, that this appeared to be original. The carpet was made for the extra switch and the extra switch appeared to be just as old as the dimmer switch. Does anyone know anything about this? I didn't get time to look under the truck again after finding this out, but I do know the seller and he wouldn't intentionally lie to me, but I don't think that he knows exactly what this is either. I can't find any documentation or anyone that knows anything about this. Any ideas?

I'll probably pick this thing up in the next few days, I'll post some pics when I do.
cgrossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The tranny button is not original, that is certian. It is kinda easy to make it look original. This sounds like it may be a gear vendors over drive/under drive. If so, it is an outstanding unit. pretty much indestructable in a pick up.
If this truck is a cheyenne or a cheyenne super, then the head liner and cargo light you described are included in that package.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

could it be a newer th350??? my friend had one in his 81 chevy PU that had a lock out converter. when i asked the tranny shop what that was they said it was basicly overdrive before they had overdrive. just a thought

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Longhorn Man

Your tranny shop was mis informing you.
Over drives have been around way before the TH350 ever came about.
Also, when the converter goes into lock up, there is no overdrive, it just becomes a true one to one gear ratio instead of a one to one with 200 RPM of slippage.
The Gear vendors unit comes with a switch that looks just like a dimmer switch.
Next time you are looking at the truck, look underneath and see if there is something that kinda looks like a transfer case bolted to the back of the tranny.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
cgrossl

Well, I bought the truck today and I am happy with it. I got a better chance to check out the extra dimmer button. It engages a lockup torque converter. I am guessing that it is a TH350C. But, the converter won't lock up at idle and the extra switch looks very factory. The carpet has a grommet for it, just like the dimmer switch. The lockup switch looks every bit as old as the dimmer switch. Tranny looks like it has been there for a while too. The previous two owners have no idea, but they do know that it was there when they purchased it and it has always worked. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can get a digital camera.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
Huck

See if the factory option sheet is still on the inside of the glove box door. That will tell what is original and not for sure. Never heard of a lock up torque converter option on a turbo350. Kinda of seems like a bit of a waste of time but ---then again, you just never know.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
StingRay

There were lock up turbo 350's but definitely not in 72. Definitely not stock. That tranny more likely came out of a late 70's-early 80's truck.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

Sting ray is right...the TH350C was a stock item installed in the late 70's/early 80's just before going to the modern day automatic overdrives.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
cgrossl

I checked into the tranny a little more tonight and it isn't a factory option. Someone has installed a TH350 and wired the torque converter to a dimmer switch. They did a really nice job though. They added an extra grommet to the carpet and everything. It also automatically disables itself when you come to a stop. Somebody went to alot of trouble to make this look and work good.