The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I done did fargged up

My truck has been acting real... mean lately. I had a 1/2" wood spacer below the carb. Knew it was suckin air and causing it to idle a bit rough. Figured I would get to it. In the mean time, I had been wanting to up grade my electric fuel pump. I went out and bought a Holley red and a nice cannister style filter and a holley pressure regulator. Installed everything and I couldnt get any fuel to my carb. Finally gave up on it and installed the old pump, worked fine.
Couple days later, I got a nice 1" phenolic spacer and all the gaskets fully expecting to fix my intake leak. Truck definatly ran better on acceleration but still missed horribly. Maybe even worse. Could find no more leaks. Went over my wires, cap and rotor. No bugs.
Finally I had it and took it to a shop. Figured maybe the !@#$% just wants another mans hands on her.

Shop called. Carb full of rust. Now know what happened. I had started to run out of gas on the freeway and went to my "oh crap" tank for a couple of miles to a gas station. Forgot about it and never changed the filter. Then put that darned holley pump in there with 15psi of pressure BEHIND the old filter. Pump immediately blew that crap into the carb. Worked fine with the old pump cause it was preset at like 5psi and could flow through the shot filter.

So now I gotta ask my truck for forgiveness... BTW, it seams crow taste like the bottom of a 30 year old gas tank.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
69 Short Fleet

I am very curious about this spacer for the carb, is this something you did or maybe a previous owner? Do you have any pics? I've never heard of anyone useing wood before. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Wood fiber laminate. edelbrock# 8724. I did it. Wrong way to go for me though.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Rdub

This reminds me of a neighbor who lived across the road from us when I was a kid... if it wasn't running he could usually figure out a way to make it run... he had a smaller Harley and the carb went bad & also had a spare carb for a larger Harley.... tried to find an adapter & local shop told him they didn't have one and it wouldn't work... he cut one out of a piece of plywood.... idled a little rough but it ran out just fine but I was always curious how long that piece of plywood held up
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
69 Short Fleet

Wow, I learn something new every day (lol). I thought this was one of them.... "You know your a redneck when......" things that Jeff Foxworthy (comedian guy) does (lol). Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote